Certification in ESL Program Specialist (K-12)
The ESL Program Specialist Certification is not an independent certification. Candidates must hold or concurrently work on Instructional I or II teaching certificate. The successful completion of this program will prepare students to teach English as a Second Language in the elementary and secondary level (K-12) in public schools. This program may be combined with M. Ed. in TESOL or M.Ed. in Multicultural Education.
The purpose of Eastern University’s ESL Program Specialist Certification program is to prepare participants to become certified in Pennsylvania to provide ESL instruction in K-12 environments.
Upon completion of the program, candidates will be able to:
- Develop classroom enterprises best suited for academic and individual needs of ESL/ELL students.
- Model professional and ethical decision making that benefits their student community.
- Fulfill professional responsibilities that will increase student achievement and promote professional and personal growth for students, colleagues, and themselves.
- The program integrates Eastern University’s mission of faith, justice, and reason to promote educational equity and social justice.
- The completion time of the ESL Program Specialist Certification program ranges between one to maximum seven years.
- The flexible program design accommodates students who manage busy schedules or who live in different time zones.
- Classes are offered in fall, spring, and summer semesters.
- Applicants can enter Eastern University ESL Certification program at multiple points throughout the year.
- All courses except EDU550 may be taken in an online environment.
PA Certification Requirements
Applicants must fulfill the following requirements before being recommended for a PA certification in their certification area.
- An existing GPA of 3.0
- Successful completion of course requirements in the certification area