Certification in Health and Physical Education (K-12)
Eastern University’s Health and Physical Education graduate certification program is equipped to guide adult learners in a majority accelerated program, leading to the opportunity to become Pennsylvania certified teachers from grades k-12. This program can be combined with our various Masters Education Degree programs for those seeking to advance their careers in the field of education. It is one of the few programs of its kind in the state, serving the needs of those who are interested in a career change or for recent graduates who would like to add this certification to their resume.
Eastern University is committed to meeting the standards and competencies of the Pennsylvania Department of Education in all our certification programs
Graduates of HPE certification program will be eligible to apply to teach in grades k-12 in the state of Pennsylvania in public/private settings.
Through the course requirements, students will have accrued the skills to take and pass the needed tests in Praxis II for certification (0856, Health and Physical Education; 0511, Fundamental Subjects: Content Knowledge)
- Accelerated seven week course format, convenient late afternoon, early evening meetings once per week
- Accelerated classes means a unique delivery format designed successfully to help the adult student balance a return to school with existing responsibilities.
- Numerous courses delivered in a blended or online format
- Certified local educational professionals and Eastern University instructors for all classes
- Classes held at Eastern University St. Davids Campus and Eastern University Falls Center Campus, Philadelphia, Pa.
- PA Teaching Certification receives reciprocity in the surrounding states: NJ, Delaware, Ohio, NY, Maryland and West Virginia
- Credits earned toward the completion of Certification program can be applied towards our various Masters Education Degree programs.
- Numerous alumnus of the Health & Physical Education Certification Program are now teaching in the following: Philadelphia School District, Bensalem School District, Burlington County (NJ), Episcopal Academy, Haverford School, Pittsburgh Area Schools
PA Certification Requirements
Applicants must fulfill the following requirements before being recommended for a PA certification in their certification area.
- An exiting GPA of 3.0
- Successful Completion of course requirements in their certification area
- Successful Completion of PRAXIS II (HPE- 0511/5511 and 0856/5857) tests
- Student Teaching in their certification area
*Candidates must have an undergraduate major or the equivalent in the area of certification. If they have not completed the following courses at the undergraduate level, they need to complete them in addition to education courses.