Beth Birmingham is an Associate Professor of Leadership and Change at Eastern University serving both the Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership program and graduate programs of the School of Leadership and Development (SLD). She has served at Eastern University since 1996 in a variety of positions. Prior to a two year teaching sabbatical in Cape Town, South Africa (2006-2008), she served as the founding assistant dean of SLD from 2000-2006 and Director of International Partnerships prior to that, developing Easternâ€™s partnerships and graduate degree programs with World Vision International, Habitat for Humanity International and Cornerstone Christian College in Cape Town.
Her dissertation and research interests include value creation in non-profit partnerships, collaborative leadership, and collaboration in community development. In 2007, she conducted two organizational evaluations for Habitat for Humanity South Africa, a leadership program evaluation for World Vision West Africa.
- Ph.D. Antioch University, Leadership and Change
- MBA Eastern University, International Economic Development
- B.Sc. West Chester University
Recent Research and Publications
- Leadership Pressure Points in the Disaster Relief Game, (2012) mixed method study of leadership profiles and context for first and second response teams in disaster relief NGOs. In progress.Â
- Habitat for Humanity: Impact of Homeownership on Single Female Homeowners, studying the impact of homeownership on women and children of single women households on four continents for major housing NGO. (2012)
- Compassion International: Meta-evaluation of 14 impact evaluation studies of child sponsorship in 14 countries. (2011)
- "Shared Strength: Exploring Cross-Cultural Christian Partnerships", Birmingham, B., Todd, S., (eds). Colorado Springs, CO: Compassion International 2010
- "Green heroes re-examined: An evaluation of environmental role models" in Leadership for Environmental Sustainability, B.W. Redekop Ed., Routledge Press. Â (Winter 2010)
- "Half the Sky and Then Some: The Disproportionate Burdens Women Bear". Prism Magazine, (Winter 2010)
- "Creating Value in NGO to Church Partnerships". Research presentation at AERDO Summit on Excellence in Cross-Cultural Church. Hosted by Compassion International, August 2009.
- Best Practices in Leadership Development: World Vision West Africa, leadership program evaluation. 2007
- Organizational Evaluation. Habitat for Humanity South Africa 2007.
Professional Associations and Service
- Accord Network, Board Member. accordnetwork.org
- International Leadership Association, Member
- Sister in Service, Board Member. Sistersinservice.org
- Volunteer: The Warehouse, Cape Town, South Africa â€“ WorkSpring Mentoring â€“ small enterprise mentoring of township businesses. 2007 - 2008