Dr. Kathy-Ann Hernandez, associate professor of education at Eastern University, has several years of experience teaching diverse student populations at all levels. She has taught in her native country of Trinidad and Tobago, the British Virgin Islands, and for the Russell-Conwell Center at Temple University. She is also an educational researcher, having worked at Temple University as a Research Assistant/Associate for the College of Education and the Center for Research in Human Development and Education.
- B.A. in English, Andrews University
- M.A. in Educational Administration and Supervision, Andrews University
- Ph.D. in Educational Psychology, Temple University
Her research is focused on the Black Diaspora and the salience of race/ethnicity, gender and class in identity formation, and social and academic outcomes. She is particularly interested in the role of spirituality in constructions of Black Masculinity. Current projects also include interrogating the experiences of women of color in higher education using autoethnographic methods.
- Chang, H., Ngunjiri, F. W., & Hernandez, K.C. (Forthcoming). Collaborative Autoethnography. Left Coast Press.
- Hernandez, K. C. (2011) Spiritual Introspection and Praxis in Teaching and Assessment. In H. Chang, & D. Boyd. (Eds.) Spirituality in higher education. Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press.
- Hernandez, K.C. (2011). The Other Brother. Journal of Black Masculinity, 1(3).
- Ngunjiri, F. W., Hernandez, K. C., & Chang, H. (2010). Living autoethnography: Connecting life and research [Editorial]. Journal of Research Practice, 6(1), Article E1. http://jrp.icaap.org/index.php/jrp/article/view/241/186
- Hernandez, K. C. & Davis, J. E. (2008). The other side of gender: Understanding Black masculinity in teaching and learning. In R. Milner & E.W. Ross (Eds.).
- Diversity and Education: Teachers, Teaching, and Teacher Education (pp.17-30). Westport, CT: Greenwood/Praeger.
- Hernandez, K. C. (2006). Under the Afro Tree: Perceptions of the School Related Experiences of British Virgin Islands high School Students. In K. Mutua & C. Sunal (Eds.).
- Crosscurrents and Crosscutting Themes: Research on Education in Africa, the Caribbean, and the Middle East, Volume III. Greenwich CT: Info Age Press.
- Hernandez co-authored a manual entitled Ready to Teach: A Practical Guide for a Successful First Year
Selected Research Reports/Projects
- Hernandez, K. C. (2011). Parent University Spring 2011: A Preliminary Evaluation Report. In Collaboration with the Office of Parent, Office of Parent, Family, Community Engagement and Faith-Based Partnerships, School District of Philadelphia.
- Hernandez, K. C. (2010). No Child Left Behind Title I Parent Engagement Policy 2009 - A Preliminary Evaluation Report. In Collaboration with the Office of Parent, Office of Parent, Family, Community Engagement and Faith-Based Partnerships, School District of Philadelphia.
- Davies, H. F., & Hernandez, K. C. (2004). Review of Virgin Islands Secondary School System Master Plan for Government of the United States Virgin Islands.
- Hernandez, K.C., and Sewell, T (2004). Making the Most of Teaching: A Practical Guide for a Successful First Year. for Center for Research in Human Development and Education Research Congressional Award Grant, Temple University.
Select refereed Presentations
- Hernandez, K. C. (2011). Masculinity Ideology and Religiosity/Spirituality Among African American Men. Paper presented at American Educational Research Association, New Orleans LO: April 7-12
- Hernandez, K. C., Ngunjiri, F. W., & Chang, H. (2011). Exploiting the Margins: Women of Color Advancing in the Academy. Paper presented at American Educational Research Association, New Orleans: April 7-12
- Hernandez, K. C. (2011). Academic Aspirations and Social Responsibility among Religious/Spiritual Black Males. Paper presented at American Men’s Studies Association, Kansas City, MO: Mar. 31- April 3
- Chang, H., Hernandez, K. C. & Ngunjiri, F.W. (2009) Collaborative Autoethnography. Workshop presented at the American Anthropological Association Annual Convention, Philadelphia: December 4-6
- Chang, H., Ngunjiri, F.W., & Hernandez, K.C., (2009) Autoethnography for Transformational Leadership in a Multicultural World Workshop presented at the International Leadership Association Annual Convention Prague: November 11-14
- Hernandez, K. C., (2009) Religiosity As a Predictor of Academic Achievement. Paper presented at the Emerging Scholars Interdisciplinary Network Summer Symposium, University of Michigan, July 2009.
Professional Associations and Service
- American Educational Research Association
- American Men Studies Association
- Emerging Scholars Interdisciplinary Network
- International Leadership Association