Franklin Oikelome joined Eastern in 2011 and is Associate Professor of HRM and Organizational Leadership.
He was three times recipient of the University of Lagos’s “Best Student Scholarship Award” and also won the “Best Graduating Student” award of the university for his department. While at LSE, Franklin Oikelome had a three- month spell at the United Nations Headquarters in New York within the Department of Human Resources and was subsequently awarded the prestigious Phelan Fellowship by the International Institute for Labor Studies of the ILO in Geneva for 6 months under the Decent Work Program. His work focused on the effects of the casualization of labor. He later moved to the ILO’s Bureau for Worker’s Activities as a research officer where his projects centered on developing poverty reduction strategies as well as the enhancement of institutional capacities of trade unions.
Since leaving LSE, Franklin Oikelome has held a number of academic positions. These include Research Fellow at the University of Hertfordshire, Research Fellow and Assistant Professor at Queen Mary University of London and Assistant professor at the University of Hull. Courses he taught at both graduate and undergraduate levels include Management and Organizational Behavior, Human Resource Management, Business Management and Enterprise, Comparative Employment Relations and Managing Change in Organizations. He also had additional roles supervising student dissertations, providing pastoral care for students, serving on different committees and engaging in collaborative and outreach programs with local and regional businesses. Prior to moving into academia, Franklin Oikelome worked in the private sector, most notably with African Petroleum based in Nigeria.
- Ph.D., Employment Relations, London School of Economics
- M.Sc., Employment Relations & Personnel Management, London School of Economics
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education, University of Hull
- B.Sc. (Hon.), Psychology, University of Lagos
- Provost Fellowship Grant Award, Eastern University, Sept, 2012
- Emerald Literati Network 2008 Awards for Excellence, Highly Commended Award for Paper: 'Equality and Diversity Actors: a Challenge to Traditional Industrial Relations?" Equal Opportunities International, Vol. 26 No.1 2007
- Emerald Management Review, Citation of Excellence Award, for Paper: A Global Link between National Diversity Policies? The Case of the Migration of Nigerian Physicians to the UK and USA" International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol. 18 No.11, 2007 http://www.emeraldinsight.com/products/reviews/awards.htm?id=2008
Research Interests and Selected Publications
Refereed Journal articles
- Oikelome, F. and Healy, G. (2013), "Gender Differences in the Career Aspiration, Morale and Inequality Perception of UK Doctors' Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 39 (4): 557-577
- Noon, M. Healy, G., Forson, C. and Oikelome, F. (2012) “The equality effects of the ‘hyper-formalisation’ of selection” British Journal of Management, DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8551.2011.00807.x published online: 30 JAN 2012
- G. Healy, G. Kirton, M. Özbilgin, F. Oikelome (2010) ‘Competing rationalities in the diversity project of the UK judiciary: The politics of assessment centres’, Human Relations, 63(6):807–834.
- Healy, G., Oikelome, F., Forson, C. and Noon, M. (2010) ‘Cultural Factors Impacting on the Selection of Black and Minority Ethnic People in the BBC, Research Report for the BBC, London: Queen Mary University.
- Oikelome, F. and Flynn, R. (2008) ‘Equality Record and the NHS’ Health Service Journal Supplement, 21(2): 17
- Healy, G. and Oikelome, F. (2007) 'A Global Link between National Diversity Policies? The Case of the Migration of Nigeria Physicians to the UK and USA' (2007) International Human Resource Management Journal, Vol.8 (11): 1917-1933
- Oikelome, F. (2007) 'Diversity Policy Approaches Across National Boundaries: the Case of Migrant Medical Labour' (2007) The International Journal of Diversity in Organisations, Communities and Nations, Vol. 6 (4): 61-68
- Healy, G. and Oikelome, F. (2007) 'Equality and Diversity Actors - A Challenge to Traditional Industrial Relations?' Equal Opportunities International, Vol. 26 (1): 44 - 65.
- Oikelome, F. and Healy, G. (2007) 'Second Class Doctors? The Impact of a Professional Career Structure on the Employment Experience of Overseas and UK Qualified Doctors' Human Resource Management Journal, Vol. 17 (2):134-154
- Oikelome, F. (2006) 'An Exploration of "Working Against Racism: the Role of Trade Unions" ' Equal Opportunities International, Vol. 25 (2): 142-145.
- Healy, G., Forson, C., Oikelome, F and Noon, M. (2010) ‘Cultural Factors Impacting on the Selection of Black and Minority Ethnic People in the BBC, Research Report for the BBC, London: Queen Mary University.
- Oikelome, F. (2007) 'The Recruitment and Retention of Black and Minority Ethnic Staff in the National Health Service' (2007) Race Equality Foundation Briefing Paper, London: Race Equality Foundation.
- Healy, G., Kirton, G., Özbilgin, M., Calveley, M., Oikelome, F., Forson, C. and Tatli, A. (2006) 'Assessment Centres for Judicial Appointments and Diversity', Research Report, Department of Constitutional Affairs. UK: Department for Constitutional Affairs.
- Healy, G., Oikelome, F. O. (2006). Ethnicity, Career, Work and the Health Services' Interim Report Findings on ESF Project: Challenging Discrimination within the Health Services. London: Centre for Research in Equality and Diversity, Queen Mary University of London.
- Race Equality Foundation (April, 2008), ‘Towards a Framework for Post Registration Nursing Careers – Equality Impact Assessment’, Reviewer
- The South East Coast Black & Minority Ethnic (BME) Network (May 2008), ‘Race Equality Service Review’, Reviewer
- Healy, G. and Oikelome, F., (2011) ‘Diversity, Ethnicity, Migration and Work: International Perspectives’. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Oikelome, F. (2010) ‘Relevance of US and UK national histories in the understanding of racism and inequality in work and career’ in Healy, G., Noon, M., and Kirton, G (editors), ‘Equality, Inequalities and Diversity: Contemporary Challenges and Strategies’, Palgrave Macmilla
- Oikelome, F.O. “Human Resource Management in A Developing Country – Beliefs, Practices And Challenges”, International Leadership Association Annual Global Conference, Montreal, Canada, Oct. 30 - Nov. 2, 2013
- Oikelome, F.O. “Human Resource Management in A Developing Country – Beliefs, Practices And Challenges”, International Conference on Management in Africa, Manchester, England, 5-6, September, 2013.
- Oikelome, F.O. ‘the Importance of Leadership in Diversity Strategies in the UK, USA and Nigeria, International Leadership Association Annual Global Conference, Denver, USA, 24 - 27 October 2012
- Oikelome, F.O. ‘Employment Relations, Human Resource Management and Diversity Management Strategies in Africa: Need for a Focus?’ International Labor and Employment Relations Association World Congress, Philadelphia, USA, 2 – 5, July, 2012
- Oikelome, F. O., Race Equality Foundation Conference, ‘Building a Diverse and Competent Workforce,’ School of Oriental and African Studies, London. (March 10 2008)
- Oikelome, F. O., BMAF Annual Conference, "Diversity and learning: the Case of a Racially Diverse student body," Edinburgh, Scotland (April 2008).
- Oikelome, F. O., Annual Learning and Teaching Conference, " Learning Styles and Adjustment Issues: an Investigation of a Culturally Diverse Student Population," University of Hull, Hull. (January 2008).
- Oikelome, F. O., Seventh International Conference on Diversity in Organizations, Communities and Nations, "Gender Differences in the Career Aspiration, Morale and Inequality Perception of UK Doctors'," Amsterdam, The Netherlands. (July 2007).
- Oikelome, F. O., Association of International British Medical Graduates Conference, "The Recruitment and Retention of Black and Minority Ethnic Staff in the National Health Service," Oxford, UK. (July 2007).
- Oikelome, F. O., Centre for Research in Equality and Diversity, ""Ethnicity, Career, Work and the Health Services" Interim Report Findings on ESF Project: Challenging Discrimination within the Health Services," Queen Mary University of London. (August 2006).
- Oikelome, F. O., Healy, G., British Universities Industrial Relations Association Conference, "Social Processes and Inequality in the Health Services - the case of two hospital trusts," National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland. (June 2006).
- Oikelome, F. O., Sixth International Conference on Diversity in Organisations, Communities and Nations, "Diversity Policy Approaches across National Boundaries: the case of migrant medical labour," New Orleans, USA. (June 2006).
- Oikelome, F. O., Healy, G., New Actors in Industrial Relations Conference, "Equality and Diversity Actors - a challenge to traditional industrial relations?" London School of Economics (September 2005).
- Oikelome, F. O., Healy, G., British Universities Industrial Relations Association Conference, "Second Class Doctors? A comparative analysis of employment conditions of overseas and UK qualified doctors," Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK. (July 2005).
- Oikelome, F. O., International Industrial Relations Association, "Trade Unions and their Members in Nigeria," FU Berlin (September 2003).
- Association of International British Medical Graduates, Inaugural Conference (July 2007), Invited keynote Speaker
- Blackbrooke Institute, ‘Driving Diversity Conference: The Power of Inclusion’, April (2007), Conference Chair International Academy of African Business and Development (IAABD) Conference, May 2008, Reviewer