Franklin Oikelome is Associate Professor and Business Management Coordinator in the PhD in Organizational Leadership Program, College of Business and Leadership, Eastern University, USA. He graduated from University of Lagos in 1992 with a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and from the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) with a Masters of Science in Industrial Relations and Personnel Management in 1998. He remained at LSE to complete his PhD degree in Industrial Relations in 2003.
While studying for his PhD, Franklin Oikelome interned with the Department of Human Resources Management Information Systems, United Nations, New York. He later received the Phelan Fellowship Award from the International Institute for Labour Studies, Geneva, Switzerland. The grant is awarded to an outstanding researcher doing advanced doctoral studies on labour and social policies. The focus of his research was on the impact of the casualization of labour in Nigeria. Following the Phelan Fellowship, he joined The Bureau for Workers ‘Activities (ACTRAV), International Labour Organization, Geneva where he provided research assistance to a team of specialists representing the various regions of the world working together on different topics to provide services to workers ‘organizations.
In May 2004, Franklin Oikelome was appointed Research Fellow at the Center for Equality and Diversity, Queen Mary University of London. His efforts were key to the successful execution of a two-and-half- year project sponsored by the European Social Fund that investigated the work and career experiences of ethnic minorities in the UK National Health Service. Several publications resulted from the project a couple of which won notable awards including the Highly Commended Award for Excellence and the Citation of Excellence Award by Emerald Literati Network and Emerald Management Review respectively. During his tenure at Queen Mary, he participated in various projects sponsored by different government entities including the Department of Constitutional Affairs and the British Broadcasting Corporation. In January 2007, he joined the University of Hull as a full time lecturer in Human Resource Management and Organizational Behaviour, a position he held before relocating to the United States.
Franklin Oikelome has been in his current position at Eastern University since August 2011. He teaches leadership and HRM courses and his research interests lie in the interconnecting fields of inequality and employment, diversity management and HRM.
Research Interests and Selected Publications
REFEREED JOURNAL ARTICLES
- Oikelome, F. (under review) “The impact of HRM challenges on HRM practices in Nigeria: exploring the soft and hard HRM model”, European Management Review.
- Oikelome, F. and Healy, G. (2013), "Gender Differences in the Career Aspiration, Morale and Inequality Perception of UK Doctors' Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 39 (4): 557-577
- Noon, M. Healy, G., Forson, C. and Oikelome, F. (2012) “The equality effects of the ‘hyper-formalisation’ of selection” British Journal of Management, DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8551.2011.00807.x published online: 30 JAN 2012
- G. Healy, G. Kirton, M. Özbilgin, F. Oikelome (2010) ‘Competing rationalities in the diversity project of the UK judiciary: The politics of assessment centres’, Human Relations, 63(6):807–834.
- Healy, G., Oikelome, F., Forson, C. and Noon, M. (2010) ‘Cultural Factors Impacting on the Selection of Black and Minority Ethnic People in the BBC, Research Report for the BBC, London: Queen Mary University.
- Oikelome, F. and Flynn, R. (2008) ‘Equality Record and the NHS’ Health Service Journal Supplement, 21(2): 17
- Healy, G. and Oikelome, F. (2007) 'A Global Link between National Diversity Policies? The Case of the Migration of Nigeria Physicians to the UK and USA' (2007) International Human Resource Management Journal, Vol.8 (11): 1917-1933
- Oikelome, F. (2007) 'Diversity Policy Approaches Across National Boundaries: the Case of Migrant Medical Labour' (2007) The International Journal of Diversity in Organisations, Communities and Nations, Vol. 6 (4): 61-68
- Healy, G. and Oikelome, F. (2007) 'Equality and Diversity Actors - A Challenge to Traditional Industrial Relations?' Equal Opportunities International, Vol. 26 (1): 44 - 65.
- Oikelome, F. and Healy, G. (2007) 'Second Class Doctors? The Impact of a Professional Career Structure on the Employment Experience of Overseas and UK Qualified Doctors' Human Resource Management Journal, Vol. 17 (2):134-154
- Oikelome, F. (2006) 'An Exploration of "Working Against Racism: the Role of Trade Unions" ' Equal Opportunities International, Vol. 25 (2): 142-145.
- Healy, G., Forson, C., Oikelome, F and Noon, M. (2010) ‘Cultural Factors Impacting on the Selection of Black and Minority Ethnic People in the BBC, Research Report for the BBC, London: Queen Mary University.
- Oikelome, F. (2007) 'The Recruitment and Retention of Black and Minority Ethnic Staff in the National Health Service' (2007) Race Equality Foundation Briefing Paper, London: Race Equality Foundation.
- Healy, G., Kirton, G., Özbilgin, M., Calveley, M., Oikelome, F., Forson, C. and Tatli, A. (2006) 'Assessment Centres for Judicial Appointments and Diversity', Research Report, Department of Constitutional Affairs. UK: Department for Constitutional Affairs.
- Healy, G., Oikelome, F. O. (2006). Ethnicity, Career, Work and the Health Services' Interim Report Findings on ESF Project: Challenging Discrimination within the Health Services. London: Centre for Research in Equality and Diversity, Queen Mary University of London.
- Race Equality Foundation (April, 2008), ‘Towards a Framework for Post Registration Nursing Careers – Equality Impact Assessment’, Reviewer
- The South East Coast Black & Minority Ethnic (BME) Network (May 2008), ‘Race Equality Service Review’, Reviewer
- Healy, G. and Oikelome, F., (2011) ‘Diversity, Ethnicity, Migration and Work: International Perspectives’. London: Palgrave Macmillan. (http://www.palgrave.com/products/results.aspx?Type=BS&a=&i=&SC=oikelome)
- Healy, G. and Oikelome, F. (2017), “Racial Inequality and Managing Diversity in the United Kingdom and United States”, in Mustafa F. Özbilgin , Jean-François Chanlat (ed.) Management and Diversity (International Perspectives on Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, Volume 3) Emerald Publishing Limited, pp.33 - 62.
- Oikelome, F. (2010) ‘Relevance of US and UK national histories in the understanding of racism and inequality in work and career’ in Healy, G., Noon, M., and Kirton, G (editors), ‘Equality, Inequalities and Diversity: Contemporary Challenges and Strategies’, Palgrave Macmillan. (http://www.palgrave.com/page/detail/equality-inequalities-and-diversity-geraldine-healy/?isb=9780230231078)
- Oikelome, F.O. “Challenging Racial Inequality in Employment: Servant Leadership, Justice and Institutional strategy”, Leadership Engagement and Discovery Conference, Randall L. Tobias Center for Leadership Excellence, Indiana University, Indianapolis, 20-21, April, 2017
- Oikelome, F.O. “The Beliefs and Practices of Human Resource Management in a developing country”, International Conference of the HR Division, Academy of Management; Sydney Australia, 20-22, February, 2016
- Healy, G. and Oikelome, F. “Racialised Inequality and Managing Diversity in the UK and USA”, Symposium international Management et Diversité des, Paris, France, 1&2 octobre 2015
- Oikelome, F.O. “The Beliefs and Practices of Human Resource Management in Nigeria”, International Leadership Association Annual Global Conference, Barcelona, Spain, 14-17, October, 2015
- Oikelome, F.O. “HRM in a developing context”, Human Resource Development Conference, University of West Indies, May 27 – 29, 2015
- Oikelome, F.O. “The Rhetoric and Reality of HRM – A Mixed Methods Study”, Mixed Methods Caribbean Conference, University of the West Indies, Mona Campus, Kingston, JAMAICA, 12 - 13 Mar 2015
- Oikelome, F.O.”Challenges to Human Resource Management Implementation in a Developing Country”, 16th Annual ILA Global Conference, OCTOBER 30–NOVEMBER 2, 2014 / SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA
- Oikelome, F.O. “Human Resource Management in A Developing Country – Beliefs, Practices And Challenges”, International Leadership Association Annual Global Conference, Montreal, Canada, Oct. 30 - Nov. 2, 2013
- Oikelome, F.O. “Human Resource Management in A Developing Country – Beliefs, Practices And Challenges”, International Conference on Management in Africa, Manchester, England, 5-6, September, 2013.
- Oikelome, F.O. ‘the Importance of Leadership in Diversity Strategies in the UK, USA and Nigeria, International Leadership Association Annual Global Conference, Denver, USA, 24 - 27 October 2012
- Oikelome, F.O. ‘Employment Relations, Human Resource Management and Diversity Management Strategies in Africa: Need for a Focus?’ International Labor and Employment Relations Association World Congress, Philadelphia, USA, 2 – 5, July, 2012
- Oikelome, F. O., Race Equality Foundation Conference, ‘Building a Diverse and Competent Workforce,’ School of Oriental and African Studies, London. (March 10 2008)
- Oikelome, F. O., BMAF Annual Conference, "Diversity and learning: the Case of a Racially Diverse student body," Edinburgh, Scotland (April 2008).
- Oikelome, F. O., Annual Learning and Teaching Conference, " Learning Styles and Adjustment Issues: an Investigation of a Culturally Diverse Student Population," University of Hull, Hull. (January 2008).
- Oikelome, F. O., Seventh International Conference on Diversity in Organizations, Communities and Nations, "Gender Differences in the Career Aspiration, Morale and Inequality Perception of UK Doctors'," Amsterdam, The Netherlands. (July 2007).
- Oikelome, F. O., Association of International British Medical Graduates Conference, "The Recruitment and Retention of Black and Minority Ethnic Staff in the National Health Service," Oxford, UK. (July 2007).
- Oikelome, F. O., Centre for Research in Equality and Diversity, ""Ethnicity, Career, Work and the Health Services" Interim Report Findings on ESF Project: Challenging Discrimination within the Health Services," Queen Mary University of London. (August 2006).
- Oikelome, F. O., Healy, G., British Universities Industrial Relations Association Conference, "Social Processes and Inequality in the Health Services - the case of two hospital trusts," National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland. (June 2006).
- Oikelome, F. O., Sixth International Conference on Diversity in Organisations, Communities and Nations, "Diversity Policy Approaches across National Boundaries: the case of migrant medical labour," New Orleans, USA. (June 2006).
- Oikelome, F. O., Healy, G., New Actors in Industrial Relations Conference, "Equality and Diversity Actors - a challenge to traditional industrial relations?" London School of Economics (September 2005).
- Oikelome, F. O., Healy, G., British Universities Industrial Relations Association Conference, "Second Class Doctors? A comparative analysis of employment conditions of overseas and UK qualified doctors," Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK. (July 2005).
- Oikelome, F. O., International Industrial Relations Association, "Trade Unions and their Members in Nigeria," FU Berlin (September 2003).
- Association of International British Medical Graduates, Inaugural Conference (July 2007), Invited keynote Speaker
- Blackbrooke Institute, ‘Driving Diversity Conference: The Power of Inclusion’, April (2007), Conference Chair International Academy of African Business and Development (IAABD) Conference, May 2008, Reviewer