RN Refresher Program
This is a unique partnership program between Eastern University and Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital in Darby, PA, designed to suit the needs of the RN who has been out of the clinical workplace for an extended period of time and wishes to return to the nursing workforce. Direction of the program includes relearning forgotten theory, reorganizing clinical skills, restoring self-confidence and revitalizing your nursing career.
- The program extends over six consecutive weeks, two days per week, during daytime hours.
- Day one of each week comprises the classroom portion of the program, which includes nursing theory, medication administration, review of body systems, review of bio/psycho/social/spiritual assessments, and nursing lab practice.
- Day two of each week provides the opportunity to become re-acquainted with the clinical setting. Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital, an acute care hospital of the Mercy Health System, located in Darby, has opened its doors to our students and will provide an excellent clinical experience. This facility will provide the opportunity for students to work with med-surg clients who have a vast variety of chronic and acute illnesses. Students will work with a qualified Eastern University faculty member/preceptor, as well as work together in order to sharpen their skills.
- Two sessions of the program will be offered annually in the Spring. Due to increased interest in the program, an additional summer session has been added to accommodate licensed nurses who are planning to return to work in fall.
- The student will not be paid during the clinical experience
Either mail or fax (610-225-5016) the RN Refresher application and payment in full in the form of check/money order, Visa or Master Card (RN Refresher credit card authorization form) and required documents to:
Attn: Geri Remy
RN Refresher Program Coordinator
Department of Nursing
1300 Eagle Road
St. Davids, PA 19087-3696
The cost of the program is $1800.00. There is no financial aid or scholarship assistance available at this time. The complete cost of the program must be paid in full prior to the start of the first class. Eastern University accepts personal checks, money orders, Mastercard and Visa.
Licensure/Clinical Document Requirements
The prospective student must have the following valid, current documents two weeks prior to the start of class:
- Pennsylvania RN license in good standing.
- Professional malpractice insurance (minimum of $1 million coverage) can be obtained online at: NSO.Com.
- Pennsylvania state criminal background clearance can be obtained online at: Pennsylvania Access To Criminal History.
- Completed health form (email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the form).
- Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support certification (CPR).
- Signed HIPAA form (email email@example.com to request the form).
To obtain a complete RN Refresher registration packet, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer 2014 Schedule:
CLASSES are held TUESDAYS, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm on the EU St. Davids Campus and CLINICALS are held on Wednesdays, 3:00 pm to 11:00 pm at Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital in Darby, PA on the following dates:
CLASS DATES: May 13, 20, 27, June 3, 10, and 17.
CLINICAL DATES: May 14, 21, 28, June 4, 11, and 18.
July/August Session: TBA
CLASS DATES: To be announced.
CLINICAL DATES: To be announced.
Eastern University reserves the right to cancel any course when enrollment quotas have not been met. In such cases, as well as when an applicant withdraws in writing from the course one week prior to the first class, s/he will receive a 100% refund. No refunds are given after the course is in progress. We maintain the right to adjust/change the clinical day/time if the clinical site requires us to do so. In rare instances, Eastern University reserves the right to substitue faculty.
Confirmation of Course Completion
Eastern University will award a Confirmation of Course Completion upon successful completion of both the didactic and clinical classes. Didactic and clinical hours will be posted on the document to facilitate student to request Contact Hours from the State Board of Nursing. See your State Board website for specific requirements: Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing.