BA in International Area Studies and Business
Why Major in International Area Studies and Business?
The BA in International Area Studies and Business (IAS & B) at Eastern University is for students interested in becoming global business leaders and in developing advanced second language proficiency. The professional, cultural, and linguistic training provided in this degree provides graduates with a strong foundation in business fundamentals, knowledge of the history and culture of a specific country, and the ability to work effectively in a second language. This degree is offered as a partnership between the Department of Language and Cultural Studies and the Department of Business, allowing students to study business from an international perspective. Students spend two semesters completely coursework in a fully integrated program with Mexican students at the Universidad de las Americas in Puebla, Mexico their junior year.
Why Major in International Area Studies and Business at Eastern?
The IAS & B program distinguishes itself from other programs in International Business because the curriculum requires one year (two semesters) of business, culture, and language courses in Spanish at the Universidad de las AmĂ©ricas in Puebla, Mexico. UDLAP is a private Mexican university of approximately 6,000 students, located about 80 miles southeast of Mexico City. Eastern University students are permitted to matriculate in these courses with Mexican students, thereby affording them an immersion experience in a Mexican university. UDLAP is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and offers a major in International Business.
- Eastern integrates Christian faith and business with a missional justice focus.
- The Business Internship Program is a faculty led initiative that seeks to provide students with working experiences to enhance their classroom knowledge.
- The ENACTUS Chapter at Eastern University is a 4x Regional Champion, recognizingÂ their pursuit of social entrepreneurship on campus, in urban Philadelphia and in Rwanda.
- Faculty members have expertise in small business start-ups, including: 30 years of corporate experience with Fortune 500 companies, nonprofit organizations, business ethics, economics, development, board development, and missions.
As graduates, IAS & B majors will be especially equipped to carry out the mission of Eastern University because their experience extends beyond the borders of the U.S. This unique degree allows students to get hands-on experience in an international context. Graduates will be equipped with an understanding of the underlying economic, political, and cultural conditions of the areas in which their degree will qualify them to work. It also allows students who wish to double major in Spanish and business to study abroad and complete the program in four years.
Liz Myers, 2011
"It has been a real blessing to be able to use my Spanish skills in a business setting, and I think that the IAS & B program at Eastern helped me prepare for this work in a way that I could not imagine when I was just starting out as a freshman. During my senior year in the International Area Studies and Business program I served as an intern at Travel & Education, a study abroad provider founded and based in Spain, which meant that I also had the opportunity to continue my internship in Spain during the summer after my graduation. My previous year abroad and my studies in business helped to prepare me for the challenges I faced with the language barrier and working in a different culture."
- Currently, Liz has been working full-time with Travel and Education, spending 2 of those months in Spain.