M.A. Fuller Theological Seminary
Th.M. Regent College (Vancouver, BC)
Ph.D. Drew University
At Eastern Since 1992
Dr. Hall has served over the past nine years in a number of administrative roles at Eastern: Dean of the Templeton Honors College, Dean of Palmer Theological Seminary, Provost, and Chancellor of Eastern University.Â He recently moved back into full-time teaching and is happy to be back in the classroom.Â Dr. Hall possesses a B.A. from UCLA in history, an M.A. in biblical studies from Fuller Theological Seminary, a Th.M. from Regent College, and a Ph.D. from Drew University.Â He has served in the pastorate overseas (France, 5 years) and in Canada (British Columbia, 2 years).Â He has also served as Director of Pastoral Care at New Jerseyâ€™s only state gero-psychiatric hospital.
Dr. Hall has ministered in Asia, Africa, South America, Europe, the Middle-East, Canada, and the United States. He serves on the editorial board of Christianity Today and was the associate editor of the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture.Â He has published articles and book reviews in Christianity Today, Catalyst, Christian History, inMinistry, Books and Culture, Christian Scholars Review, Modern Theology, and Crux.
He and his wife Debbie have three children, Nathan, Nathalie, and Joshua and are members of the Episcopal Church.
Why I Teach at Eastern
The mission of Eastern University energizes me.Â Its core values â€“ faith, reason, and justice â€“ sum up the heart of the gospel.Â In addition, the diverse character of Eastern University is a constant encouragement to me as I live in a society that is increasingly polarized and divided.
Foundations of Christian Spirituality, Old Testament, New Testament, Prayer, Pain and Suffering, The World of the Early Church.
Patristics, Christian Spirituality and Formation
- Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture: The Gospel of Mark (with Thomas C. Oden). (InterVarsity, 2005). Received the 1999 Christianity Today Book Award in Biblical Studies.
- The Mystery of God: Theology for Knowing the Unknowable (with Steven Boyer). (Baker, 2012). Received the 2014 Christianity Today Book Award in Theology/Ethics.
- Reading Scripture with the Church Fathers. (InterVarsity, 1998).
- Learning Theology with the Church Fathers. (InterVarsity, 2002).
- Worshiping with the Church Fathers. (InterVarsity, 2009).