S.T.M., M.Div. Biblical Theological Seminary
M.A. The Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning
Ph.D. The Annenberg Research Institute
At Eastern Since 2012
God transplanted Dr. Putnam in 1970, but he remains a New England farmer â€śon loanâ€ť to Pennsylvania, where he has taught Hebrew, Greek, and biblical interpretation since 1982 at various institutions. He and his wife have three daughters, two sons-in-law, grandchildren, and four chickens. Recreation: baking, gardening, music, tea, Ankersteinbaukasten. Recreational reading: education, literary criticism of poetry, military history, Chesterton, Pieper, Tolkien, Lewis, Williams (et al.).
Why I Teach at Eastern
I joined the faculty of the Templeton Honors College at Eastern University because of a number commitments, which I share: (1) to the liberal arts; (2) to the close and careful reading of primary texts; (3) to a pedagogy of conversation; (4) to seeking understanding and insight into the truth of reality with others; (5) to being part of a group of Christians seeking to become â€śwho we already areâ€ť; and (6) to pursuing all of these things with like-minded colleagues and relatively small groups of students.
Courses Taught at Eastern
Honors Old Testament, Honors New Testament, Nature & Meaning of the Old Testament, Nature & Meaning of the New Testament
Metaphor; Bible translation (including the LXX); discourse analysis of Hebrew narrative; prosody of biblical poetry
- A New Approach to Biblical Hebrew (Sheffield Phoenix Press, 2010).
- Proverbs. The Complete Biblical Library. Old Testament Study Bible (World Library Press, 1998).
- Card-Guide to Biblical Hebrew (Stylus, 1996; rev. ed., 1997).
- Hebrew Bible Insert: A Studentâ€™s Guide to the Syntax of Biblical Hebrew (Stylus, 1996; 2nd ed., 2003).
- A Cumulative Scripture Index of Hebrew Grammar & Syntax (Eisenbrauns, 1996).
- â€śWarning: You are Being Seducedâ€ť (Proverbs 25.15), and â€śInhale. Exhale. Repeat.â€ť (Ecclesiastes 1.2), both in Devotions from the Hebrew Bible. (Zondervan, 2014).
- â€śRedeemed Intimacy: The Song of Songsâ€ť, in Modern Reformation, Nov-Dec 2001.