Co-Chair, Counseling Psychology Department
Degree Coordinator for School Counseling and School Psychology
Associate Professor, Counseling Psychology
- Ph.D. in Clinical Developmental Psychology, Bryn Mawr College
- M.A. in Human Development, Bryn Mawr College
- B.A. Major in Psychology, Minor in Child Development, Connecticut College
- Pennsylvania Licensed Psychologist
- Pennsylvania Certification in School Psychology
- Green Cross Compassion Fatigue Educator
- Educational psychology
- Adolescent family processes
- Childhood abuse and neglect
- Family relational values
- Short to long term psychotherapy with children, adolescents and families
- Psychoeducational assessments and interventions
- Trauma-focused therapy with children, adolescents and families
- School and Clinical populations: Autistic Spectrum Disorder, ADHD, anxiety and depressive disorders, eating disorders, childhood abuse, oppositional defiant disorder and learning disabilities
- Edgar-Smith, S. & Palmer, R.B. (in the press), Building Supportive School Environments for Alternative Education Youth. Journal of Preventing School Failure.
- Edgar-Smith. S., Gill, J, & Palmer, R. (2013) Bringing special needs children into the church youth community: A practical guide. Journal of Youth Ministry, Vol. 11, Issue 2, p57-72.
- Edgar-Smith, S. & Serock, E. (October 2011). School-Based Intergenerational Programs, Pennsylvania Psychologist.
- Edgar-Smith, S. (June 2010). Treating child and adolescent post-traumatic stress. Sarajevo Trauma Centre.
- Edgar-Smith, S. & Palmer, R. (March 2010). Does psychodynamic theory have a place in the school? Pennsylvania Psychologist.
- Edgar-Smith, S. & Wozniak, R. (2010). Family relational values in the parent adolescent relationship. Counseling and Values, 54, 187-200. Â
- Chung. W., Bartholomew, L., Edgar-Smith, S., Palmer, R., & DeLambo, D. (2008). Psychiatric rehospitalization of children and adolescents: Implications for social work intervention. Child and Adolescent Social Work Journal, 25, 483-496.
- Lamb, S. & Edgar-Smith, S. (1994). Aspects of disclosure: Mediators of outcome of childhood sexual abuse. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 9, 307-326.
- Lamb, S., Cullinan, M., & Edgar-Smith, S. (1992).Â "Normal" childhood sexual play: An examination of adults' memories of mutual delight, perceptions of normality, and extent of coercion in sexual games they played as children.Â In L.M. Mauro & J.H. Woods (Eds.) Building bridges: Interdisciplinary research in child abuse and neglect. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
- Edgar-Smith, S. & Barna, J. (2013). Passing the Torch: Leadership and Advocacy Strategies for Graduate Counseling Students. Forty-fifth Annual Pennsylvania Counseling Association Conference. State College, PA.
- Edgar-Smith, S. & Palmer, R (2012). Building Supportive School Environments for Alternative Education Youth. Poster presented at the Christian Association for Psychological Studies Annual International Conference. Washington, D. C.
- Chung, W., Edgar-Smith, S., Palmer, R., Delambo, D., Chung, S., & Huang, W. Teacher attitudes toward students with autism (2011). Poster presented at the Annual International Autism Conference, Washington, D.C.
- Edgar-Smith, S., Palmer, R. & Van Horn, Kathy (2010). Yo, step off! Altering youth perceptions about justice in school communities.Â Poster Presentation at the Christian Association for Psychological Studies (CAPS) International conference.
- Edgar-Smith. S., Palmer, R. & Gill, J. (2009). Bringing special needs children into the church youth community: A practical guide. Workshop presented at the 2009 Messiah Youth Works Conference.
- White, G., Palmer R. & Edgar-Smith, S. (2009). Best practices in gatekeeping: A formalized model in action. Paper presentation at the Christian Association for Psychologists International Conference.
- Chung, W., Edgar-Smith, S., Brundige, R., Canonica, D., Hogan, K., & Knight, W. (2008).Â Cycle of violence: Bullying patterns between parents and their children.Â Poster presented at the Annual Pennsylvania School Counseling Association Conference.
- Edgar-Smith. S., Palmer, R. & Gill, J. (2007). Are we prepared to invite everyone to the table? Special needs children and youth in church communities. Workshop presented at the Annual CAPS East Conference.
- Heck, M., Chung, W., McFee, M. R., Edgar-Smith, S., & Walters, R. (2007). Depression: perception of etiology and treatments among Christians. Poster presented at the Annual International Christian Association of Psychological Studies conference.
- Lorraine, L., Chung, W., McFee, M. R., Edgar-Smith, S., & Walters, R (2007).Â Perfectionism, religiosity and self-esteem: Implications for pastoral care.Â Poster presented at the annual International Christian Association of Psychological Studies conference.
- Edgar-Smith, S. (2000).Â Parent-adolescent interactions during early, middle and late adolescence.Â Poster presented at the Society for the Research in Adolescence in Chicago.
- Edgar-Smith, S. & Wozniak, R. (1998).Â Family values and family functioning in the parent-adolescent relationship.Â Poster presented at the 1998 Pennsylvania Psychological Association, Pittsburgh, PA, June 1998.Â Received the Graduate Student Research Award.
- Lamb, S., & Edgar-Smith, S. (1992). Aspects of disclosure: Mediators of outcome of childhood sexual abuse.Â Poster presented at the 1992 National Symposium on Child Victimization, Washington, D.C.
- Lamb, S., Cullinan, M., & Edgar-Smith, S. (1990). "Normal" childhood sexual play: An examination of adults' memories of mutual delight, perceptions of normality, and extent of coercion in sexual games they played as children.Â Paper presented at Temple University Symposium for Research in Child Abuse and Neglect, Philadelphia.
- Eastern University Provost Grant 2008
- American Psychological Association (APA) -- Division 36 Society for the Psychology of Religion and Spirituality
- American School Counseling Association (ASCA)
- Association for School Psychologists in Pennsylvania (ASPP)
- Christian Association of Psychological Studies (CAPS)
- National Association of School Psychologists (NASP)
- Pennsylvania Association of Counselor Education & Supervision (PACES)
- Pennsylvania Counseling Association (PCA)
- Pennsylvania Psychological Association (PPA)
- Pennsylvania School Counseling Association (PSCA)