Senior Lecturer, Eastern University
- 1974: Master of Arts Degree, English. Villanova University, Villanova, PA
- 1971: Bachelor of Arts Degree, English. Eastern University, Eastern, PA
- 2011: The Association of Writers and Writing Programs (AWP) Annual Conference, â€śTeaching the Non-traditional Writer: Practical Techniques for Teaching Students Outside the Mainstream,â€ť â€śShaping a Life: Voice, Structure, and Craft in Memoirâ€ť
- 2009: â€śEighteen and Nineteenth Century Sacred Vocal Music in PA German Culture. Schwenkfelder Library and Heritage Center, Pennsburg, PA
- 1993: Movement workshop led Carla De Sola, Kirkridge Retreat Center, Bangor, PA
- 1987-1990: Playwriting, Advanced Playwriting, three 12-week sessions. Walnut Street Theatre, Philadelphia, PA; with Ernest Tremblay
- 1991: Robert McKee Story Structure Workshop, Hunter College, New York, NY
- 1992: Is Nothing Sacred workshop led by Marie M. Fortune, Kirkridge Retreat Center, Bangor, PAÂ
- 1986: Biblical Storytelling workshop led by Thomas Boomershine, Network of Biblical Storytelling, Eastern College, St. Davids, PA
- 1986: Clowning workshop led by Michael Cesario, Montgomery County Community College, Blue Bell, PA
- 2002: Co-authored Writerâ€™s Handbook with Donna Tobin, for Criterion II Interactive Writing Tutorial Natural Language Processing Response to Student Writing, ETS Technologies, Princeton, NJ2
- 2000: Co-authored and designed with Marisa Farnum and Jill Burstein, Criterion Interactive Writing Tutorial Natural Language Processing Response to Student Writing, ETS Technologies, Princeton, NJ
Curriculum Writing/Projects: Eastern University
- 2010: ENG 340: Advanced Writing: The EssayÂ
- 2009-2010: ENG 345: Advanced Writing: Advanced Journalism course as a culminating senior experience course
- 2008-Present: Ongoing development of Writing Across the Curriculum, currently in phase I: Writing Intensive Course in major phase
- 2005: Journalism concentration developed
- 1999: ENG 230: Introduction to Playwriting
- 2011: â€śBreaking down a Writing Assignment into Manageable Parts: The Introduction as an Assignment.â€ťWriting Across the Curriculum training seminar, Eastern UniversityÂ
- 2009: â€śThe Opportunities of Memoir,â€ť Academic Festival, Eastern University; report and reading of sabbatical material
- 2002: â€śMother Love in Morrisonâ€™s Beloved,â€ť Upper Darby Sellers Library, Upper Darby, PA
- 1999: â€śFinding Ourselves in Alcottâ€™s Little Women,â€ť Upper Darby Sellers Library, Upper Darby, PA
- 1999: â€śFriendship in A Bridge to Terebithia,â€ť Upper Darby Sellers Library, Upper Darby, PA
- 1998: â€śGodwinâ€™s A Mother and Two Daughters: Images of Romantic Love,â€ť NEA Â presentation for Books that Bridge the Gap, Upper Darby Sellers Â Library, Wissahickon Valley Public Library, Blue Bell, PA
- 1994: â€śMoving Out in Creativity and Trust,â€ť workshop for Moving Toward Healing: Sexual Abuse and the Church Conference, Goshen, IN
- 1988: â€śA Childâ€™s Spiritual Bill of Rights as Derived from Childrenâ€™sÂ Literature,â€ť Mennonite Women in Leadership Conference,Â Souderton, PA
- 1987: â€śPutting Our Ancestors into a Landscape: Adding Historical Research and Imagination to the Family History Recipe,â€ť Zirkel Family Conference, Little Zion Lutheran, Telford, PA
- 1986: â€śSomething Fishy and Wonder Bread: Faithfulness in American Mennonite Historiographyâ€”An Analysis of Seven Mennonite Histories,â€ť Historiography Conference of the Institute of Mennonite Studies, Associated Mennonite Biblical Â Studies. Elkhart, IN
- 1985: â€śPassing on the Torch,â€ť commissioned by the fifth Mennonite Experience in America Conference; Lansdale, PA; published in Mennonite Quarterly Review, January 1986
Plays and Productions
- 1996: Labyrinth: Iâ€™m Not Going Anywhere Without You Script for collaboration with director Mark Hallen, choreographer Karen Clemente, and 11 Eastern College students; Eastern College, St. Davids, PA
- April 1994: Awake in the Awesome Vivid: Lydia and the Phillipian Slave Girl dance-theater script in collaboration with choreographer KarenÂ Clemente and dance/singing group, Miriamâ€™s Children; Eastern College, St. Davids, PA
- October 1993: Jairusâ€™s Daughter: How Our Stories Come Together, one-act commissioned for Listening with the Heart: A Symposium on Abuse; Franconia Mennonite Conference, Harleysville, PA
- February 1993: Finding Her, one-act commissioned for A Time Apart: Women in Leadership retreat; Franconia Mennonite Conference, Lansdale, PA
- May 1992: A New Creation; one-act commissioned for Mennonite Women in Leadership; Franconia Mennonite Conference, Souderton, PAÂ
- May 1990: The Gift; Studio 5, Walnut Street Theater School Showcase, Philadelphia, PA
- October 1988: To Be With Him, one-act for by Plains Mennonite congregation, Lansdale, PA
- May 1987: Herstory; Studio 5, Walnut Street Theater School Showcase, Philadelphia, PA
Fiction and Nonfiction
- 2011: To Draw Out Splinters: A Faith Fiction, in progress.
- 2011: â€śFaith is Joining! Faith is Celebrating,â€ť Spirit, Fall-Winter 2011, in press.
- 2011: â€śWhatâ€™s God Got to Do with It: Teaching Personal Narrative at a Faith-based Institutionâ€ť in Spirituality in Higher Education, Heewon Chang and Darrell Boyd, Eds., Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press.
- 2011: â€śGoing to Boca Raton,â€ť (fiction), Â Inklings, Spring 2011.
- 2010: â€śGreen Theology Thrives in Camden,â€ť Spirit, Fall-Winter 2010.
- 2010: â€śWhatâ€™s a Sabbatical For?â€ť Spirit, September 2010.
- 1995: â€śLiving as Mennonite Citizens After Oklahoma City,â€ť Gospel Herald, 13 June 1995.
- 1993: Prayers and blessings for â€śMaking Worship Sensitive to Survivorsâ€ť in Sexual Abuse in Christian Homes and Churches by Carolyn Holderread Heggen.
- 1992: â€śJournal Entry,â€ť Passenger, Summer 1992.
- 1991: â€śProtesting the Gulf War with Becca,â€ť The Witness, March 1991.
- 1991: â€śFaith and Light Retreat Teaches Love,â€ť 98.6, December 1991.
- 1987: â€śConfessions of a Suburban Housewife,â€ť Gospel Herald, 13 October 1987.
- 1987: Review of Three Mennonite Poets: Jean Janzen, U.S.A; Yorifumi Yaguchi, Japan; David Waltner-Toews, Canada; Mennonite Historical Bulletin, April 1987.
- 1986: â€śSoftly and Tenderly, Jesus,â€ť (fiction), The Other Side, December, 1986.
- 1984: â€śThe Radical Reformation: The Anabaptists,â€ť Christian History, Spring 1984, special edition editor; published rare 16th and 17th century materials.
- 1985: â€śBasement Work with a Higher Calling,â€ť Messenger, September 1985.
- 1985: Three-part article series on developmental disabilities: â€śAn Interview with Jean Vanier, Founder of Lâ€™Arche,â€ť â€śAn Unnerving Experience,â€ť â€śJust as Welcome as the First,â€ť Gospel Herald, 26 March-9 April 1985.
- 1982-84: Six-part series on work: â€śHomemaking: The Challenge of Living in a Shoe,â€ť â€śFollowing the Path of the Imagination,â€ť â€śTransportation: Managing Motion,â€ť â€śKeeping the Serpent Poled,â€ť â€śChoices, Common Threads,â€ť Alumni Newsletter, Christopher Dock Mennonite High School.
- 1983: â€śA Rough Passage,â€ť With, October 1983.
- 1981: Willing Inhabitants; 150-page coffee table history of Franconia Township, PA.
- 1981: Early and Successive Land Owners of Franconia Township; 50-page analysis commissioned for 250 anniversary of Franconia Township, PA.Â
- 1979: Some Local History of Franconia Township; edited manuscript diary of Henry D. Hagey, an American primitive, 400 pages; Souderton, PA.
- 1968/69: â€śSweeping Up the Heart,â€ť (fiction) The Atlantic National College Writing Competition.
- 1968/69: â€śMindful of Man: Themes in Contemporary Poetry,â€ť The AtlanticNational College Writing Competition.
- 1996: Writerâ€™s Digest, honorable mention in personal essay category for â€śPrivilegeâ€ť and â€śForever Flowers.â€ť
- 1996: Writerâ€™s Digest, honorable mention in the poetry category for â€śTo Demeter.â€ť
- 1987: First-prize (tie) in Fiction, Evangelical Press Association for â€śSoftly and Tenderly, Jesus.â€ť
- 1986: The Other Side, first prize, fiction for â€śSoftly and Tenderly, Jesus.â€ť
- 1968/69: The Atlantic National College Writing Contest, Breadloaf Writerâ€™s Conference prize for â€śSweeping Up the Heartâ€ť and â€śMindful of Man.â€ť
- 1969: German Award; Thyra Ferre Bjorn Creative Writing Award, Eastern Baptist College