Joyce C. Munro, M.A.
Senior Lecturer, Eastern University
- 1974: Master of Arts Degree, English. Villanova University, Villanova, PA
- 1971: Bachelor of Arts Degree, English. Eastern University, Eastern, PA
- 2011: The Association of Writers and Writing Programs (AWP) Annual Conference, “Teaching the Non-traditional Writer: Practical Techniques for Teaching Students Outside the Mainstream,” “Shaping a Life: Voice, Structure, and Craft in Memoir”
- 2009: “Eighteen and Nineteenth Century Sacred Vocal Music in PA German Culture. Schwenkfelder Library and Heritage Center, Pennsburg, PA
- 1993: Movement workshop led Carla De Sola, Kirkridge Retreat Center, Bangor, PA
- 1987-1990: Playwriting, Advanced Playwriting, three 12-week sessions. Walnut Street Theatre, Philadelphia, PA; with Ernest Tremblay
- 1991: Robert McKee Story Structure Workshop, Hunter College, New York, NY
- 1992: Is Nothing Sacred workshop led by Marie M. Fortune, Kirkridge Retreat Center, Bangor, PA
- 1986: Biblical Storytelling workshop led by Thomas Boomershine, Network of Biblical Storytelling, Eastern College, St. Davids, PA
- 1986: Clowning workshop led by Michael Cesario, Montgomery County Community College, Blue Bell, PA
- 2002: Co-authored Writer’s Handbook with Donna Tobin, for Criterion II Interactive Writing Tutorial Natural Language Processing Response to Student Writing, ETS Technologies, Princeton, NJ2
- 2000: Co-authored and designed with Marisa Farnum and Jill Burstein, Criterion Interactive Writing Tutorial Natural Language Processing Response to Student Writing, ETS Technologies, Princeton, NJ
Curriculum Writing/Projects: Eastern University
- 2010: ENG 340: Advanced Writing: The Essay
- 2009-2010: ENG 345: Advanced Writing: Advanced Journalism course as a culminating senior experience course
- 2008-Present: Ongoing development of Writing Across the Curriculum, currently in phase I: Writing Intensive Course in major phase
- 2005: Journalism concentration developed
- 1999: ENG 230: Introduction to Playwriting
- 2011: “Breaking down a Writing Assignment into Manageable Parts: The Introduction as an Assignment.”Writing Across the Curriculum training seminar, Eastern University
- 2009: “The Opportunities of Memoir,” Academic Festival, Eastern University; report and reading of sabbatical material
- 2002: “Mother Love in Morrison’s Beloved,” Upper Darby Sellers Library, Upper Darby, PA
- 1999: “Finding Ourselves in Alcott’s Little Women,” Upper Darby Sellers Library, Upper Darby, PA
- 1999: “Friendship in A Bridge to Terebithia,” Upper Darby Sellers Library, Upper Darby, PA
- 1998: “Godwin’s A Mother and Two Daughters: Images of Romantic Love,” NEA presentation for Books that Bridge the Gap, Upper Darby Sellers Library, Wissahickon Valley Public Library, Blue Bell, PA
- 1994: “Moving Out in Creativity and Trust,” workshop for Moving Toward Healing: Sexual Abuse and the Church Conference, Goshen, IN
- 1988: “A Child’s Spiritual Bill of Rights as Derived from Children’s Literature,” Mennonite Women in Leadership Conference, Souderton, PA
- 1987: “Putting Our Ancestors into a Landscape: Adding Historical Research and Imagination to the Family History Recipe,” Zirkel Family Conference, Little Zion Lutheran, Telford, PA
- 1986: “Something Fishy and Wonder Bread: Faithfulness in American Mennonite Historiography—An Analysis of Seven Mennonite Histories,” Historiography Conference of the Institute of Mennonite Studies, Associated Mennonite Biblical Studies. Elkhart, IN
- 1985: “Passing on the Torch,” commissioned by the fifth Mennonite Experience in America Conference; Lansdale, PA; published in Mennonite Quarterly Review, January 1986
Plays and Productions
- 1996: Labyrinth: I’m Not Going Anywhere Without You Script for collaboration with director Mark Hallen, choreographer Karen Clemente, and 11 Eastern College students; Eastern College, St. Davids, PA
- April 1994: Awake in the Awesome Vivid: Lydia and the Phillipian Slave Girl dance-theater script in collaboration with choreographer Karen Clemente and dance/singing group, Miriam’s Children; Eastern College, St. Davids, PA
- October 1993: Jairus’s Daughter: How Our Stories Come Together, one-act commissioned for Listening with the Heart: A Symposium on Abuse; Franconia Mennonite Conference, Harleysville, PA
- February 1993: Finding Her, one-act commissioned for A Time Apart: Women in Leadership retreat; Franconia Mennonite Conference, Lansdale, PA
- May 1992: A New Creation; one-act commissioned for Mennonite Women in Leadership; Franconia Mennonite Conference, Souderton, PA
- May 1990: The Gift; Studio 5, Walnut Street Theater School Showcase, Philadelphia, PA
- October 1988: To Be With Him, one-act for by Plains Mennonite congregation, Lansdale, PA
- May 1987: Herstory; Studio 5, Walnut Street Theater School Showcase, Philadelphia, PA
Fiction and Nonfiction
- 2011: To Draw Out Splinters: A Faith Fiction, in progress.
- 2011: “Faith is Joining! Faith is Celebrating,” Spirit, Fall-Winter 2011, in press.
- 2011: “What’s God Got to Do with It: Teaching Personal Narrative at a Faith-based Institution” in Spirituality in Higher Education, Heewon Chang and Darrell Boyd, Eds., Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press.
- 2011: “Going to Boca Raton,” (fiction), Inklings, Spring 2011.
- 2010: “Green Theology Thrives in Camden,” Spirit, Fall-Winter 2010.
- 2010: “What’s a Sabbatical For?” Spirit, September 2010.
- 1995: “Living as Mennonite Citizens After Oklahoma City,” Gospel Herald, 13 June 1995.
- 1993: Prayers and blessings for “Making Worship Sensitive to Survivors” in Sexual Abuse in Christian Homes and Churches by Carolyn Holderread Heggen.
- 1992: “Journal Entry,” Passenger, Summer 1992.
- 1991: “Protesting the Gulf War with Becca,” The Witness, March 1991.
- 1991: “Faith and Light Retreat Teaches Love,” 98.6, December 1991.
- 1987: “Confessions of a Suburban Housewife,” Gospel Herald, 13 October 1987.
- 1987: Review of Three Mennonite Poets: Jean Janzen, U.S.A; Yorifumi Yaguchi, Japan; David Waltner-Toews, Canada; Mennonite Historical Bulletin, April 1987.
- 1986: “Softly and Tenderly, Jesus,” (fiction), The Other Side, December, 1986.
- 1984: “The Radical Reformation: The Anabaptists,” Christian History, Spring 1984, special edition editor; published rare 16th and 17th century materials.
- 1985: “Basement Work with a Higher Calling,” Messenger, September 1985.
- 1985: Three-part article series on developmental disabilities: “An Interview with Jean Vanier, Founder of L’Arche,” “An Unnerving Experience,” “Just as Welcome as the First,” Gospel Herald, 26 March-9 April 1985.
- 1982-84: Six-part series on work: “Homemaking: The Challenge of Living in a Shoe,” “Following the Path of the Imagination,” “Transportation: Managing Motion,” “Keeping the Serpent Poled,” “Choices, Common Threads,” Alumni Newsletter, Christopher Dock Mennonite High School.
- 1983: “A Rough Passage,” With, October 1983.
- 1981: Willing Inhabitants; 150-page coffee table history of Franconia Township, PA.
- 1981: Early and Successive Land Owners of Franconia Township; 50-page analysis commissioned for 250 anniversary of Franconia Township, PA.
- 1979: Some Local History of Franconia Township; edited manuscript diary of Henry D. Hagey, an American primitive, 400 pages; Souderton, PA.
- 1968/69: “Sweeping Up the Heart,” (fiction) The Atlantic National College Writing Competition.
- 1968/69: “Mindful of Man: Themes in Contemporary Poetry,” The AtlanticNational College Writing Competition.
- 1996: Writer’s Digest, honorable mention in personal essay category for “Privilege” and “Forever Flowers.”
- 1996: Writer’s Digest, honorable mention in the poetry category for “To Demeter.”
- 1987: First-prize (tie) in Fiction, Evangelical Press Association for “Softly and Tenderly, Jesus.”
- 1986: The Other Side, first prize, fiction for “Softly and Tenderly, Jesus.”
- 1968/69: The Atlantic National College Writing Contest, Breadloaf Writer’s Conference prize for “Sweeping Up the Heart” and “Mindful of Man.”
- 1969: German Award; Thyra Ferre Bjorn Creative Writing Award, Eastern Baptist College