Andrew F. Bush, DMin
Associate Professor of Missiology and Department Chair
DMin, Princeton Theological Seminary
Research: Mission spirituality, World Christianity and the globalization of mission, new paradigms for Christian and Muslim engagement, and Arab Christianity.
Statement from Dr. Bush
“During twenty years of mission service in Manila, the Philippines and the Palestinian West Bank I have found inspiration for personal spiritual renewal from the examples of the unsung Christian men and women in these lands who often were making costly decisions to follow Christ. Similarly, majority world Christians certainly will be an important source of guidance for Western Christian missions as it seeks to find its place in the new global Christian missions movement. As scholars of missions we need to learn to listen closely to these followers of Jesus, and be open to the radical insights they offer.”
- Learning from the Least: Reflections on a Journey in Mission with Palestinian Christians (2014). Wipf & Stock Publishers, Eugene, Oregon.
Chapter in Book:
- “Kenosis of Christ and the Redefinition of Nationalism and Reconciliation in Israel/Palestine,” in Mission Spirituality and Authentic Discipleship, Wonsuk Ma and Kenneth Ross (eds.). Regnum Books, Oxford, 2013.
Published Papers and Articles:
- “Women with a Mission.” Spirit Magazine, Eastern University, January 2013.
- “Christ at the Checkpoint.” Spirit Magazine, Eastern University, March 2012.
- “Bullets and Bibles: The Unhealthy Marriage of Missions and Militarism.” PRISM, Palmer Seminary, Fall 2010.
- “The Implications of Christian Zionism for Mission.” International Bulletin of Missionary Research, July 2009.
- “He Emptied Himself for Us: the Servanthood of Christ and Peace in the Holy Land.” Spirit Magazine, Eastern University, January 2009.
- “Aspects of Emerging Palestinian Mission: A Field Report.” International Association for Mission Studies Conference on Migration, Human Dislocation, and the Good News: Margins as the Center in Christian Mission, Toronto, Canada, August 15-20, 2012.
- “Bullets and Bibles: The Problem of the Persistent Linkage of Missions and Militarism.” A paper chosen for presentation at the National Evangelical Missiological Society, Orlando, Florida, September 2009.
- “A Response to Christian Zionism.” A paper presented at the Missions Leaders Forum, Overseas Missionary Study Center, New Haven, Connecticut, December 2008.
- “A Profile of Harvesters Christian Fellowship: The Challenge of an Indigenous Filipino Mission.” A paper presented at the National Conference of the Evangelical Missiological Society, Denver, Colorado, September 2008.
- “Kenosis of Christ and the Redefinition of Nationalism and Reconciliation in Israel/Palestine.” A paper presented at the International Association for Mission Studies Conference, Balaton Hungary, August 2008.
- “The Value of the Kenosis of Christ as a Model for Ministry in Missional Contexts of Violence: A Personal Reflection.” Presented at the National Evangelical Missiological Society conference on “Missions in Contexts of Violence.” April 8, 2006.
- “The Implications of Christian Zionism for Mission.” Presented at the Pruitt Lectures on World Mission. Baylor University. November 2005.
- Special Lectures:
- “The Surprise of the Mission of God.” Life Church, El Paso, Texas, April 2013.
- “Bringing the Witness of Jesus to Your Muslim Neighbor: Building on Common Ground.” Trinity Church, Amarillo, Texas, March 22, 2013.
- “Mission in Today’s Church.” Vincent Mennonite Church Retreat, Spruce Lake, Pennsylvania, January 2013.
- “Colliding Dreams: Contemporary Perspectives on Israel and Palestine.” Windows on the World Lecture.” November 8, 2012.
- “Building or Burning Bridges: Searching for a Way Forward in Christian and Muslim Relations.” Franconia Conference Leadership Meeting, Mennonite Church, USA, Methacton Mennonite Church, May 4, 2011.
- “Engaging Islam.” Wayne Presbyterian Church, Wayne, Pennsylvania, March-April 2011
- “Living Stones: A Profile of Ministry to Muslims on the West Bank.” First Presbyterian Church, Watertown, NY, March 2011
- “Faces of Grace: Unexpected Conversions in the Middle East Today.” Waterville Community Church, Waterville, Ohio, October 2010
- “Understanding the C1-C5 Debate in Contextual Missions to Muslims.” Westmont College, Santa Barbara, CA, March 15, 2010.
- “Learning from the Least: Reflections on Service to Muslims.” The Students Theological Society, Westmont College, Santa Barbara, CA 2010, March 15, 2010
- “Servanthood and Missions to Muslims.” Pastors Conference, Trinity Fellowship Association of Churches, Amarillo, Texas, October 16 2010
- “Missions in a Changing World.” Three day missions seminar Trinity Fellowship Church, Amarillo, TX, May 13-15, 2010.
- “Building a Contextual Theology.’ Pastors Training, Harvest Christian Center”, Plainview TX, May 10, 2010.
- “Why America Needs to Hear the Palestinian Voice.” A panel discussion sponsored by Peace and Justice Movement of Bryn Mawr, First Baptist Church, Wayne, PA, Nov. 16. 2010.
- “Jesus and World Religions.” A panel discussion with Dr. David Shenk, Eastern University, October 27, 2010.
- “Learning from the Least: Insights from the Fringes into the Heart of Missions.” Craven Wilson Lectures on Mission and Evangelism, Perkins School of Theology, Southern Methodist University, October, 2009.
- “The Witness of Palestinian Christians.” Windows on the Word, Eastern University, October, 2008.