Professor of Anthropology
PhD, University of California
Research: India, poverty, women, race and ethnicity, faith and science, global economic systems, international development, comparative religions and Christian missions.
Statement from Dr. Meneses:
‚ÄúI have found it richly rewarding to interact with students at Eastern on subjects having to do with missions and anthropology.¬† Their passion for understanding cultural differences, their compassion for people in all circumstances, and their commitment to service are always inspiring to me.¬† We believe in doing all things for the work of God‚Äôs Kingdom, regardless of the job or the setting.¬† Our students have literally gone to the ends of the earth, from Azerbaijan, to India, to Korea, to southern Africa, to Lithuania, to Chicago and Philadelphia to carry out the mission for which they have been prepared at Eastern.¬† I am truly grateful to be able to equip them for this exciting work.‚ÄĚ
- Meneses, Eloise, 2007. Love and Revolutions: Market Women and Social Change in India.¬† Lanham, MD:¬† University Press of America.
- Meneses, Eloise, 1995.Incarnational Ministry: Planting Churches in Band, Tribal, Peasant, and Urban Societies.¬† Second author to Paul G. Hiebert.¬† Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House.
- Meneses, Eloise, 2009.The Gospel in Human Contexts.¬† By Paul G. Hiebert.¬† Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic.
Chapters in Books:
- Meneses, Eloise, 2006. ‚ÄúScience and the Myth of Biological Race‚ÄĚ in This Side of Heaven: Race,
- Ethnicity, and Christian Faith, edited by Robert J. Priest and Alvaro L. Nieves.¬† Oxford University Press.
- Meneses, Eloise, 2006. ‚ÄúBearing Witness in Rome with Theology from the Whole Church‚ÄĚ in Global Theologizing: Belief and Practice in an Era of World Christianity, edited by Craig Ott and Harold A. Netland.¬† Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, pp. 231-249.
- Meneses, Eloise, 2004. ‚ÄúThe Meaning of Mennonite‚ÄĚ in The Measure of My Days, edited by Joe Miller and Reuben Miller.¬† Telford, PA:¬† Cascadia Publishing House, pp. 108-121.
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals:
- Meneses, Eloise, 2009. ‚ÄúBirds of the Air: the Christian Challenge to Culture in Defending the Marginalized.‚ÄĚ¬† Missiology, XXXVII (3):369-384.
- Meneses, Eloise, 2007. ‚ÄúFaithful Witness:¬† Postcritical Epistemology for Christians.‚ÄĚ¬† Direction, 36(2): 129-143.
- Meneses, Eloise, 2000 .¬† ‚ÄúDefeating the Baals: Balanced Christian Living in Different Cultural Systems.‚ÄĚ Co-authored with John E. Stapleford.¬† The Christian Scholar‚Äôs Review, XXX(1): 83-106.
- Meneses, Eloise, 2000. ‚ÄúNo Other Foundation: Establishing a Christian Anthropology.‚ÄĚ¬† The Christian Scholar‚Äôs Review, XXIX(3): 531-549.
- Meneses, Eloise, 1994. ‚ÄúRace and Ethnicity; an Anthropological Perspective.‚ÄĚ¬†¬† Race, Sex and Class, 1(2):137-146.
- Meneses, Eloise, 1987. ‚ÄúTraders and Marginality in a Complex Social System.‚ÄĚ¬†¬† Ethnology, 26(4): 231-244.