Political Science Department Proximity to Resources
Eastern's Main Campus
Political Science Department Resources
The Department of Political Science at Eastern University offers students opportunities to inquire into (a) the nature and purpose of politics as a permanent and distinct aspect of human existence, (b) the institutions and processes of politics in historical and contemporary domestic, foreign, and international contexts, and (c) the relationship between citizenship and Christian faith. In addition to a varied range of courses for students of the major and minors, the Political Science Department provides experiential learning activities for credit. Students may enroll in the Model United Nations (MUN) simulation and participate in the National MUN sponsored by Harvard University. Also, proximity to the state capital in Harrisburg, PA provides regular occasions to experience government and participate in lobbying. Throughout the year, various internships also come available with members of Congress, Christian NGO’s such as World Vision and Hope International, the White House, US General Service Administration and in Pennsylvania state government through the Finnegan Foundation.
Eastern University is home to the Alpha Theta Upsilon Chapter of Pi Sigma Alpha, the national political science honor society. Pi Sigma Alpha promotes excellence in the study of political science through a variety of programs, benefiting students, the local chapter and the profession of political science. Through Pi Sigma Alpha students gain access to Scholarships for graduate study, the Nancy McManus Washington Internship Scholarships, awards for best papers and honors theses, best chapters and chapter advisor recognition awards, APSA student membership awards and distinguished speaker series.
Resources are also available in Warner Library, including a variety of books, web indexes, databases, online news coverage and journals that will aid students with research needs.
- State and Local Government
- American Government
- International Affairs
- Political Theory
- Lexis Nexis
- Fulltext articles from newspapers at home and around the world.
Political Issues and News
- CNN.com: Politics
- Political Blogs
- RSS Feeds on Politics
- Administrative Theory & Praxis
- American Journal of Political Science
- American Political Science Review
- Annual Review of Political Science
- Journal of Politics
- Political Quarterly
- Political Research Quarterly
- PS: Political Science and Politics
- Public Administration Quarterly
- Public Management
Regional and Philadelphia Area Political Resources
- ACORN: The Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now is the nation's largest community organization of low- and moderate-income families, working together for social justice and stronger communities. There is an active local chapter in Philadelphia.
- African American Heritage Coalition: The AAHC is a coalition of grassroots community organizations in Philadelphia banded together since 2002 to provide the African American Community with information and the opportunity to participate in direct action concerning community issues.
- Americans for Democratic Action: A longstanding national and local organization which lobbies and works for liberal ideals and liberal candidates, and for issues such as Universal Healthcare, Civil Liberties, Arms Control and Disarmament.
- Democracy for America: This is a political action committee dedicated to supporting fiscally responsible, socially progressive candidates at all levels of government, from school board to the presidency.
- Foreign Policy Research Institute: A non-profit organization devoted to bringing the insights of scholarship to bear on the development of policies that advance U.S. national interests. Provide briefings, lecture series, conferences and symposia, study groups and resources for students.
- Keeping America Competitive: This is a political action committee with the goal of creating a strategic road map that best positions America to compete among all free market economies globally.
- MoveOn.org: MoveOn is a service for busy but concerned citizens to find their political voice in a system dominated by big money and big media. This is a national organizations with local events.
- PA Federation of Republican Women
- Pennsylvania Democratic Party
- Philly for Change: Philly for Change is a 2,000-member grassroots political organization that fights for progressive public policy at the local, state and national levels.
- Republican Party of PA
- Students For Liberty Annual Regional Conference: Offers a pro-liberty presence in the Philadelphia area. Students gather from all over the Northeast to hear from top speakers in the libertarian movement, network with other pro-liberty students and discover countless opportunities for jobs, internships, conferences and seminars.
- World Affairs Council of Philadelphia: A private, nonprofit, nonpartisan educational organization dedicated to informing and engaging people of all ages on matters of national and international significance. The Council provides its members and the greater Philadelphia community with access to influential figures in the global arena as well as opportunities to visit fascinating destinations through its unique travel program.
- Young Philly Politics: This is a political group of young people who focus on local politics. They endorse candidates for local offices and offer discussion and blogs on their site.