Hans Tokke, Ph.D.; MDiv; MPS; MA
Hans Tokke is the faculty director of the Nonprofit Program at Eastern University. He is a first generation Estonian refugee kid and comes to Eastern via New York City after growing up in Vancouver, Canada.
He brings over 25 years experience in teaching and practice in the non profit sector. He served in Vancouver as a director of urban ministries and programs with Campus Crusade for Christ, Here’s Life Inner City, and The Alder Foundation focusing on inner city youth and children at risk. He worked in New York City with Here’s Life Inner City, where he served in various capacities reaching people in the largest metropolitan area in the United States. He taught sociology, pluralism, diversity and culture at The State University of New York (Rockland), The City University of New York (CityTech) and Thomas Edison State College and community development, social justice, and urban ministry at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary. He is returning to his roots in the non profit sector at Eastern University, teaching topics from public policy to marketing and advocacy and is excited about challenging people to reach out to those in need.
Ph.D. (sociology) The New School For Social Research (2012)
M.A. (sociology) The New School for Social Research (2008)
MDiv. (theology and religion) Alliance Theological Seminary (2006)
M.P.S. (urban ministry & community development) Nyack College (2004)
B.Th. (exegetical theology) Summit Pacific College (1986)
Research Interests and Selected Publications
- Research Focus: “Suburbanization, Separations, and Segregations: A study in American varsity football.” Field Statements: Urban Sociology, Sociology of Culture/Religion Research Method: Ethnography.
- “Disneyfication and Religion in Times Square” in Cimino, Richard (ed.) Ecologies of Faith New York: Under Review, 2010.
- “Football Fridays: An Ethnography of Suburban Life” New York, NY: Canon Magazine. The New School, Fall 2009.
- “Urban Consumerism and the Credit Crisis” presented at Christian Community Development Association National Conference, Miami, FL 2008.
- “Island Memories: Refugee Stories From Hiiumaa” documentary short film presented at Visual Sociology Film Screening: The New School for Social Research, New York, NY 2007
- “Escape From Estonia: From Refugees to Revitalized” open forum with Dr. Juta Kitching, Society for the Advancement of Estonian Studies, Vancouver, BC. 2007
- “Conspicuous Consumption: A Prophetic Call To Urban Marketing” presented at Christian Community Development Association National Conference, St. Louis, MI 2007
- Tokke, Hans with Reg Parks Compassion by Command Atlanta, GA: New Life Publications, 2003. Awarded ICV International Crown Award Silver Medal. Video curriculum.
- “Urban Community Development in the Urban Slums” Urban study participant at Alliance Seminary, Manila, Philippines 2003
- “City Communication and the City Grid” Workshop presented to the PAOC National Youth Directors Meeting, Toronto, ON 2003
Professional Associations and Service
- Red Cross International Post 9-11 Disaster Response, Ground Zero Chaplain
- “Snapshots From A City” Urban Dinner Theater, Producer
- Americorps, Internship Manager
- Vancouver Urban Team, Director
- KidStreet Inner City Youth Outreach, Director
- American Sociological Association
- Association for the Sociology of Religion
- Community Christian Development Association
- The Christian and Missionary Alliance & The Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada, Ordained Minister