We live in a country that incarcerates more of its citizens than any other nation in the world. Eastern University is located in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania which has more persons serving juvenile life without parole sentences than any other state, and incarcerates a larger percentage of its minority population than any other state. Eastern University is in the Philadelphia area, and that school district’s zero tolerance policies also contribute to the over incarceration of young people, particularly youth of color. Trying youth as adults, housing youth in adult jails and prisons, the prevalence of prison rape, the dangers of solitary confinement and matters related to the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act are all issues of concern for the Center for Urban Youth Development.
CUYD is available to offer practical workshops and educational presentations on these and related youth justice issues. To join our mailing list, or to request a presentation, email Dr. Kimberlee Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Juvenile Justice Resources:
- Building Blocks for Youth: statistics by state and city, resources, research
- Center for Policy Alternatives: the nation's only nonpartisan nonprofit organization working to strengthen the capacity of state legislators to lead and achieve progressive change
- Legal representation: Defenders Association of Philadelphia
- Justice and Mercy, Inc.: nonprofit, volunteer organization dedicated to decreasing the effects of crime in our communities, increasing public safety, and ministering to and restoring both crime victims and offenders
- Multiple resources for advocacy: Campaign for Youth Justice
- Information and contacts: Building Blocks for Youth
- Anti-Violence Efforts/Prevention (Philadelphia): Blueprint for a Safer Philadelphia
- Juvenile Law Center: a national advocate for children’s rights, working across the country to enforce and promote the rights and well-being of children who come into contact with the justice, child welfare and other public systems
- Youth Empowerment Services