Conference & Special Events Coordinator
Eastern University, a university of the liberal arts and sciences located in St. Davids, Pennsylvania, invites applications for the position as Conference & Special Events Coordinator. The Conference & Special Events Coordinator, reporting to the Assistant Director of Conferences & Special Events is a multiple task position involving attention to detail, creative planning, team work, excellent communication skills as well as student management and mentoring. The position is responsible for creating, managing and facilitating external group contracts. Participate in the marketing of Eastern University, interdepartmental initiatives, managing of the facility, over seeing summer staff, and implementing campus-wide events.
Status: Staff, full-time, 40 hours per week, 12 months per year. Flexibility for evening and weekend hours as well as availability for rotating on call responsibilities is required.
Applicants are requested to send a cover letter, resume, three professional references, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Applicants should not contact the hiring manager directly.
1. Coordinate all assigned client events needs including but not limited to; event space, overnight accommodations, catering, and technical needs.
2. Communicate with clients via phone & email to understand their needs & wants to find the best solutions to accommodate them while on our campus.
3. Reserve all required facilities & services prior to site use, including housing, meeting space, catering, housekeeping, and ITSC.
4. Negotiate (within parameters) price structures with assigned clients.
5. Initiate, organize, and maintain up to date files for assigned clients groups.
6. Be present at all assigned client check in & check outs, and follow up with clients throughout their event.
7. Prepare and process all contracts and invoices, accurately and in a timely manner.
8. Ensure payment is received and follow up accordingly if payment is not received in the specified time period.
9. Interact in a respectful and professional manner with all conference planners, group representatives, conference guests, service providers, office and student staff.
10. Assist in maintaining the content on the website and Facebook pages, ensure that information is accurate, up to date, and reflects this office and University in a professional manner.
11. Assist in maintaining the QuickBooks accounting software and database.
12. Assist in the facilitating of field & athletic space rentals.
13. Participate in the facilitation & set up of all large campus events.
14. Participate in marketing and selling Eastern University’s Conference Services (internal/external) including trade shows, printed and electronic materials, and creating contacts for future services.
15. Partner with office team in hiring, training, and development of yearly student workers and seasonal summer conference assistants.
16. Keeping student development in the forefront of all that we do; be open to all opportunities to act as a mentor and role model for our students, providing educational opportunities outside of the classroom.
17. Assist the Assistant Director in the over seeing of summer Conference Assistants (CAs)
18. Assist in all departmental needs throughout conference services, special events, scheduling, and pool as need.
19. Maintain high-quality, seamless, and exceptional service for clients internal and external.
20. Takes a proactive approach and initiates conversation to ensure that all their needs are being met while on Eastern’s Campus.
21. Maintain flexible year round office hours including nights, weekends, summer Holidays, and in the summer to be a participant with rotating staff on-call hours.
22. Actively engage in the summer activities and as needed work alongside of the students, to include but not limited to manual labor such as set ups, linen deployment, and furniture moves.
23. Express to clients internal, external and the community the Hospitality Ministry that is Conference Services and Special Events.
24. Embodies values of caring and compassion, justice and integrity, competence and affirmation.
25. Seeks to treat each member of the campus community with fairness, dignity and respect seeking a spirit of unity and harmony as we join together to achieve our common mission.
In addition to being a servant leader committed to the Christian faith and the mission of Eastern University, the Conference Coordinator should be self-directed and able to function in a multi-faceted, fast paced customer service driven environment. The position requires that the individual be customer service minded, and in that capacity, able to make decisions that will affect the comfort of Eastern’s guests. A valid driver’s license is required.
Proven computer literacy (Microsoft Office, QuickBooks), excellent written and verbal communications skills, are required. Bachelor’s degree and previous experience in sales, conferences and / or special events is preferred. A working knowledge of audiovisual equipment, space management, and scheduling; a proven ability to exhibit creative and constructive problem solving in real time; and the ability to work in a team as well as independently are essential.
About Eastern University
Eastern University is a Christian university of the arts and sciences that integrates faith, reason and justice for students in its undergraduate, graduate, Seminary, urban, professional and international programs. Applicants should have a religious commitment compatible with our mission and community standards. The university complies with federal and state guidelines of nondiscrimination in employment; members of protected classes encouraged to apply.
This description is intended to describe the general level and nature of work performed by the person/people assigned to this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities of the person/people so assigned.