Eastern University, a university of the liberal arts and sciences located in St. Davids, Pennsylvania, invites applications for the position as Mechanic for our Campus Services Department. Reporting to the Director of Plant Operations, the Mechanic maintains and makes general repairs on mechanical equipment and completes preventative maintenance as needed (other duties as assigned or required).
This position is classified as essential personnel under the university policy and is subject to department policies regarding essential personnel. Performs essential duties related to facilities work as identified by management during inclement weather, emergency situations, or as campus needs dictate.
Status: Full-time, temporary, staff, 40 hours per week, (Monday - Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm). Mandatory overtime as necessary—nights, weekend, holidays—and “on-call” coverage within a rotating schedule.
Applicants are requested to send a cover letter, resume, three professional references, and salary requirements to email@example.com.
All positions remain open until filled.
1. Addresses work requests of a broad variety as assigned (general mechanical, plumbing, HVAC, electric, minor carpentry, welding).
2. Maintains chillers, boilers, air-handlers, package HVAC units, maintains/troubleshoots energy management system, pumps and cooling towers.
3. Completes preventative maintenance initiatives as scheduled / assigned
4. Considered essential personnel including snow removal
5. Embodies values of caring and compassion, justice and integrity, competence and affirmation.
6. Seeks to treat each member of the campus community with fairness, dignity and respect seeking a spirit of unity and harmony as we join together to achieve our common mission.
Essential Personnel Functions/Requirements include but are not limited to:
• Be available for on call duties for after hours and weekends as scheduled.
• Duties may include activities inclement weather safety responsibilities, including the removal of snow, ice and/or branches, and other responsibilities as necessary due to inclement weather.
• May be required to work during campus closures.
• Performs related duties/work as required and/or assigned.
• Must be available for inclement weather events including snow removal and three occurrences of mandatory Saturday overtime per year.
ADA Requirements— Ability to:
a. Frequently move, transport, lift, push/pull and maneuver up to 75lbs
b. Frequently walk, stoop, kneel, climb, crawl, crouch and bend
c. Frequently be able to reach and work overhead
d. Fine hand manipulation
e. Performs duties in tight confines
f. Detect and locate leaks and differentiate between common odors related to trades (natural-gas, heating-oil, refrigerants, etc.)
g. Visually detect and discern the needed materials to perform work as described above
h. Respond to and initiate verbal communications
i. Diagnose by careful listening
High school diploma or GED. A proven ability to troubleshoot and make necessary repairs on HVAC equipment and plumbing; the ability to lift and move materials and tools and operate power tools in a safe and proper manner; computer literacy knowledge and experience with digital energy management systems –(Experience with American Auto Matrix helpful). HVAC certifications preferred. Personal hand tools required. Must own and use personal vehicle. Valid PA Driver’s License, insurance and registration required.
The successful candidate must be self-motivated and capable of working unsupervised. Ability to establish good working relationships with other technical and maintenance personnel.
About Eastern University
Eastern University is a Christian university of the arts and sciences that integrates faith, reason and justice for students in its undergraduate, graduate, Seminary, urban, professional and international programs. Applicants should have a religious commitment compatible with our mission and community standards. The university complies with federal and state guidelines of nondiscrimination in employment; members of protected classes encouraged to apply.
This description is intended to describe the general level and nature of work performed by the person/people assigned to this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities of the person/people so assigned.