Certification in School Psychology and School Counseling
Candidates who have already earned a master's degree from another institution in a related field are eligible for Certification Only rather than the full masters degree program. Prior to applying for admission into the Certification Only program, applicants¬†must arrange for an¬†interview¬†with the¬†School Psychology and School Counseling Degree Coordinator. The purpose of the¬†interview is to review all previous graduate courses to determine their comparability to similar courses in the Eastern University graduate program.
In preparation for the interview, assemble and bring:
- course outlines, syllabi, descriptions
- papers and projects from their previous graduate work
- current resume
- complete the appropriate certification worksheet:
In reviewing prior coursework, the following guidelines are followed:
- In order to receive course credit, a course must be comparable to the Eastern University course in terms of major topics, concepts and objectives.
- A minimum grade of B is required in a course under consideration.
- Unless the applicant is working regularly in the area covered by the course, no more than 10 years may have elapsed between the time the course was taken and admission to the Certification Only program.
- No more than 10 courses (30 credits) of comparable coursework will be included in the program of study for certification.
- Either at the conclusion of the interview or shortly thereafter, the applicant will be informed of the extent to which her or his prior graduate work is applicable to the certification program, and a program of study will be finalized.