The Language Department of Eastern University strives to promote language proficiency and cultural literacy. ¬†A Language Resource Center in McInnis 327 is available to students to provide educational resources such as dictionaries, literature, magazines, and language resource books that can be used for researching or studying. ¬†Computers are available for use in the Language Resource Center. ¬†Resources are also available in Warner Library, including a variety of books, web indexes, databases, and journals that will aid students with research needs.
- Language Resources on EU Library Website: Available languages are English, French, German, Korean, and Spanish
- Latino Literature database brings together more than 100,000 pages of poetry, fiction, and drama written in English and Spanish by hundreds of Chicano, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Dominican, and other Latin authors working in the United States. (Found on the Library database page)
- The eBrary database (Eastern‚Äôs online library) has many books and journals in Spanish and French as well as instruction books on how to learn and speak a foreign language.
Students are also encouraged explore the following online resources to read a variety of newspapers, magazines, literature, and journals to enhance reading and comprehension skills as well as creating an awareness of the multilingual, global society around us.
Philadelphia Area Resources¬†
- Mexican Cultural Center - local Philadelphia events multiple times a month, a very good way to connect with the Mexican population in the area.
- Ra√≠ces Culturales Latinoamericanas - "Ra√≠ces seeks to give voice to those who are often not heard within our society, to challenge stereotypes and to empower, stimulate and inspire individuals and communities to explore diverse cultures and seek common ground."
- Casa Monarca - Local Philadelphia organization promoting Mexican art and culture. They offer classes and various events throughout the month.
- Tek-Lado - A bilingual technology/pop culture magazine published online and in print in the Philadelphia area. It's geared toward college-age students and some articles are even written in Spanglish. ¬†
- Puentes de Salud - A health clinic and organization devoted to serving the Mexican and immigrant community (especially women and children) in South Philadelphia. Volunteers are accepted.¬†
- Maternity Care Coalition - "The mission of Maternity Care Coalition is to improve maternal and child health and wellbeing through the collaborative efforts of individuals, families, providers and communities. " Volunteer and internship opportunities are available in multiple locations (knowledge of Spanish is dependent on the location); they also offer a student research program. A good option for someone interested in Social Sciences or Medicine with a good knowledge of Spanish.¬†
- Juntos - "JUNTOS is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization comprised of Mexican and other Latino immigrants in Philadelphia. Our mission is to build power for justice in the city of Philadelphia and members‚Äô home countries in order to create vibrant, organized, vocal, and healthy communities." This organization is especially focused on Education, Human Rights, Community Organizing and Transnationalism.
- Lutheran Settlement House - Bilingual Domestic Violence counseling, volunteer opportunities available. Located in Philadelphia. Focus on crisis intervention, counseling, and safety planning. They run a 24-hour hotline. ¬†
- Congreso - Latino Community/Human service organization in (North) Philadelphia. One volunteer opportunity is to be a mentor to a student/child who needs a caring adult.¬†
Bilingual Churches and Ministries¬†
Going to a bilingual church is a wonderful way to supplement your academic Spanish learning. Learning the Bible in Spanish also helps you to think critically about assumptions you have made about the Bible in English (or your native language). Going to a bilingual church can teach you a lot about your own culture and another culture and how they influence faith. We hope you take the opportunity to get involved in this wonderful ministry!
- Philadelphia Christian Center - Bilingual ministry, translation of services in Spanish and Spanish language Sunday school.