ABSENTEEISM DUE TO ILLNESS
The Health Center nurse or physician will not provide written excuses unless a student is sent home for a week or more. ¬†Students are responsible for contacting their professor when illness prevents them from attending class or exams. The Health Center will only verify that a student has received treatment when requested by a professor.
If an extended illness forces a student to go home for a week or more, the Health Center should be advised with a physician's note. The Student Health Center will advise the Dean of Students to notify appropriate faculty.
Policy Regarding Meningitis Immunization
Eastern University will follow the new protocol for Meningococcal conjugate vaccines, quadrivalent (MCV4), as recommended by the CDC and the American College Health Association.¬†
If the first dose is administered at age 13 through 15 years, a booster dose should be administered at age 16 through 18 years, with a minimum interval of at least 8 weeks after the preceding dose.
If the first dose is administered at age 16 years or older, a booster dose is not needed. Thank you for your cooperation.
Tuberculosis Screening Policy
PPD testing is required for all incoming students regardless of BCG history, and the test results must be:
- Submitted with their health records in advance of arrival to the University.
- If positive PPD results exist, a Quantiferon Gold test will be drawn by the University Health Center staff.
- If the Quantiferon Gold test is negative, no further testing will be required.
- If the Quantiferon Gold test is positive, a chest x-ray must be obtained. Students must complete the x-ray, and the results must be received in the Health Center within one week or the student will be suspended from class and/or the University until the Student Health Center receives the chest x-ray report.
- If the chest x-ray is negative for active TB and the Quantiferon Gold test is positive, the student will meet with a nurse and the campus doctor to begin prophylactic TB treatment.
- If the chest x-ray is positive, the student will be referred to the local health department immediately.
- The Student Health Center will follow the directives/recommendations from the County Health Department regarding all communicable diseases.