In April of 2012, thirteen Eastern University SIFE (Students in Free Enterprise), now ENACTUS, participants won the 2012 SIFE USA Regional Competition for the third year in a row. The SIFE students, accompanied by Dr. Al Socci, their faculty advisor, competed in Baltimore, MD against 37 SIFE teams from our region. Judges selected Eastern University as one of the winning schools to proceed to the National Competition being held in Kansas City, MO.
Eastern University students presented the following major projects:
- The Community Garden is a garden built on the St. Davids campus as an environmentally sustainable solution to providing healthy food to the hungry.
- Shark Tank is an event in which students compete to prove their entrepreneurial skills by presenting their business plans to a panel of judges, with a top cash prize of $1,500.
- The Blackout Project is working to conserve energy and educate individuals about good environmental practices and sustainability.
- The Blankenburg Elementary Program is the after school program SIFE students run every Tuesday in West Philadelphia, PA, to teach basic business and entrepreneurial skills to 5th and 6th grade students and create lasting relationships with them.
- The Gahini Library project, partnering with Eastern University Templeton Honors College graduate Evan Hewitt '11 and the Bishop of Rwanda to create one of the first public libraries in Rwanda. SIFE has collected over 5,000 books and raised $1,500 for the library, scheduled to open this summer.
- SIFE at Eastern has brought in a total of $11,900 dollars in grant money this academic year. These grants have been from SIFE and its local business partnerships.
- SIFE Worldwide
ENACTUS is an international nonprofit organization that brings together the top leaders of today and tomorrow to create a better, more sustainable world through the positive power of business. Founded in 1975, SIFE has active programs on more than 1,500 college and university campuses in 39 countries. Through projects that improve the lives of people worldwide, the university students, academic professionals and industry leaders who participate in SIFE are demonstrating that individuals with a knowledge and passion for business can be a powerful force for change. For more information, visit http://enactus.org/