Secondary Education Certification Programs (7-12)
Students seeking a secondary certification to teach in any 7-12 grade will first take all the course requirements for a major in the respective subject, e.g. English. The student will then take the additional educational courses required to receive secondary certification in one of the following areas of study: Biology, Chemistry, Communication, English, Math, Social Studies or a Language (Spanish and French). Therefore, the subject is the major and secondary education or language certification is the area of study.
Why at Eastern?
- International Exchange Program in Auckland, New Zealand and Vancouver, British Columbia
- Craymer Curriculum Lab â€“ includes childrenâ€™s publications, educational manipulatives, teaching curriculum, etc
- Integration of Christian faith and education major
- Excellent student teaching opportunities in a wide variety of settings including urban, suburban, and rural
- Student organizations â€“ The Council for Exceptional Children, Kappa Delta Pi (honor society), Pennsylvania Student Education Association
- Faculty with extraordinary academic and professional backgrounds
- Emphasis on individualized counseling for all Education students
- Strong student teaching and job placement assistance
Featured Faculty Member
Dr. Douglas Mountz
Dr. Douglas Mountz has been on the faculty of the Loeb School of Education since January, 2005, where he has served as a student teacher supervisor and has taught undergraduate and graduate students in various education courses. He received his doctorate in Educational Leadership from Immaculata University in 2006 and his M.Ed. in Classroom Technology from Wilkes University in 2000. Previous to his coming to Eastern University, he taught a variety of science courses to secondary students ranging from seventh grade through 12th grade over a 34 year career. During this time he achieved Level II certification in the areas of Comprehensive Science and Earth and Space Science. Presently, Dr. Mountz teaches a science methodology course which promotes inquiry methods of instruction that engage his students in science investigations that require their active participation. He also teaches a secondary education seminar course that serves to prepare students who soon will be entering their student teaching experience. Read more about Dr. Douglas Mountz.
Secondary Education Certification Programs
- Certification in English as a Second Language (ESL) (K-12)
- Certification in Foreign Language (French and Spanish) Education (K-12)
- Certification in Music Education (K-12)
- Certification in Secondary Biology Education (7-12)
- Certification in Secondary Chemistry Education (7-12)
- Certification in Secondary Communication Education (7-12)
- Certification in Secondary English Education (7-12)
- Certification in Secondary Math Education (7-12)
- Certification in Secondary Social Studies Education (7-12)