Health Center: Entering Student Information

What to Bring

Recommended Medical Supplies for Students

  • Insurance Card (keep original with you at all times)
  • Fever/pain reliever (e.g. aspirin, Tylenol, Advil)
  • Antacid (Maalox)
  • Decongestant (Sudafed tablets)
  • Cough syrup (Robitussin DM)
  • Hydrocortisone cream (anti-itch)
  • Band aids
  • Tweezers
  • Thermometer
  • Scissors


Why Vaccines Are Required Before Entry?

Not everyone entering college has received the routinely recommended series of childhood immunizations. New students are required to show proof of immunizations before registering (see above); a record of vaccinations from your physician may also be needed in the workplace. It is in your best interest to be vaccinated to guard against a campus disease outbreak or an infection when traveling abroad.

Proof of immunizations and a current TB test (within 1 year) are required of all students regardless of residency length prior to housing occupancy or class attendance. Some other tests are mandated by federal, state and local laws and some internship, placement or other "academic experience" hosts require other tests as well.

Documentation must be submitted to Health Services prior to attending class and moving into University Housing. See the Immunization Record Form.

Which vaccines are required?

  • DPT- 4 doses
  • Polio- 4 doses
  • MMR- 2 doses
  • Varicella (or date of disease)- 2 doses
  • Hepatitis B- 3 doses
  • Meningitis (living on campus)- 1-2 dose(s)**
  • TB skin test - if TB skin test is positive, then Quanti Feron Gold TB Blood Test- done within 1 year of entry

Any student with a positive TB skin test must have a Quanti Feron TB Gold Blood Test to maintain student status. (See Policy page for more information)

Did You Know That Over a Dozen Vaccine-Preventable Diseases Can Disrupt Your University Career?

Here is one example: Measles complications can be serious and life threatening - and the risk of death, while low, is greater for adults than for children. The continuing appearance of cases in young adults underlines the need to identify and immunize those who are unprotected. University students who did not receive two doses of measles vaccine, the first at age 12 months and the second after 1980, need to be re-vaccinated.

For approved University travel

It is the University position that all students traveling on University sponsored trips should be vaccinated / medicated in preparation for the trip as recommended by the CDC. In every case, we follow the CDC recommendations as that is the best way to go to promote student health. If a student does fall ill due to failure to follow the CDC recommendations, the University Health Services will be able to provide documentation that all CDC recommendations were followed and the student unfortunately, refused or otherwise failed to take the recommended precautions.

Travel Immunization Policy for Eastern University Health Center

The University Health Center may be able to provide travel-related immunizations for current University community students and employees, subject to availability of the vaccinations. Contact the HC well in advance for availability and appointments. Physician clearance is required by your personal physician or the University Physician before any travel medications are dispensed. Print and sign acknowledgement form when you arrive for your immunizations at the HC.

Immunizations may be charged to a student account or employee department with permission of the cost center manager in advance for job-related trips for employees.

This service is not available to former students, future students, alumni or non-employees.

Travelers' Health Service

Drexel Hill, Pa. (610-622-8904)
Paoli Hospital (610-648-1430)
Penn Medicine at Radnor (610-902-5618)
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Travel Clinics - Phone: (404) 639-3311
American College Health Association ACHA
Student Health Service Phone: (610)-341-5955
Local and state public health departments
Your personal physician

Back to Top