The Institute for Orthodox Thought and Culture
Eastern University and a group of Orthodox clergy, laity, and academics propose an Institute for Orthodox Thought and Culture. The Institute will serve as an intellectual and spiritual home for Orthodox students and scholars, exploring the Greek, Arabic, and Slavic Orthodox traditions through their literature, thought, philosophy, theology, history, art, and music.
The Institute will offer a minor in Orthodox thought and culture, taught within the broader context of a Christ-centered education in the arts and sciences. A program unlike anything else in the country, the Institute will work with Eastern University's existing academic structures, providing students a vibrant university experience at an accredited and stable institution with a strong Orthodox component, an interdisciplinary program with broad appeal to all Eastern Christians.
The Institute will also provide the introductory courses that fulfill some of Eastern's general education curriculum, in particular the Old Testament, New Testament, and Theology courses. The Institute will work closely with the Templeton Honors College, so that eligible students can receive a Great Books education, complete a minor in Orthodox Thought and Culture, and finish the major or pre-professional program of their choice.
The Institute needs your feedback!
What the Institute will Offer at a glance:
- Minor in Orthodox Thought and Culture
- General Education courses in Old Testament, New Testament, and Theology taught by Orthodox faculty
- An Orthodox community built around the Life in the Church, the Life of Prayer, and the Life of the Mind
- Orthodox worship and spiritual retreat
- Teaching and workshops on iconography and chant
- Emphasis on Arabic, Hellenic, and Slavic thought and culture through their history and literature
- High profile lectures, events, trips
- A Summer Scholars Program for both high school and college students
- Seminars for the public on issues pertinent to Orthodox thought and life including music, architecture, iconography
- Engaged in service to the Church and society, preparing students for lives of virtue and leadership
If you would like to hear more from the Institute, please sign up here
Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org