Intensive English as a Second Language (IESL) Program
About the IESL Program
The Eastern University Intensive English as a Second Language program (EU-IESL) is a year round, 3-level academic ESL program. The program is designed for international students who need to improve their English language skills before beginning academic coursework at Eastern University, and for individuals who are not seeking a degree at Eastern University but who want to improve their English skills. The program offers content-based courses in academic reading, writing, and grammar, listening, speaking and integrated skills. The courses are offered year round in three 14-week terms: fall, spring, and summer. Both undergraduate and graduate students can register for any or all of the three sessions. ESL study concurrent to an academic program is available for students who exhibit levels of expertise that indicate they are able to begin their academic coursework but who would benefit from additional ESL support.
The program honors linguistic, religious, and cultural differences. This program will insure that all enrolled students have successful ESL learning opportunities that help them reach their full potential and add quality throughout their academic and/or professional lives. The Eastern University IESL Program is dedicated to assisting international students with readiness to enter English based University level degree programs at Eastern and elsewhere. The program also acts to enhance diversity understanding among English language learners and seeks to empower them to develop a deeper understanding of their own cultures, as well as the diverse cultures in the United States and in the world as they meet, study, live among and get to know other students.
Eastern University’s College of Arts and Sciences offers an Early College Program for International Students from China. Students are placed in IESL based on an English proficiency placement exam, and can begin earning undergraduate credits while enrolled in IESL through a bilingual sequence of courses offered in Mandarin. More information is found by clicking on the Application Information link on the left-hand menu.
The EU IESL Program Features
- TOEFL and IELTS are not required for entry.
- Placement tests for listening, speaking, reading, writing, and grammar levels at the start of each term
- IESL students, if accepted to the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) prior to completion of IESL, can receive 12 undergraduate credits upon successful completion of IESL for ENGL 101, 102, 201 and INST 216.
- An orientation program before classes start
- Small classes that enable personal attention
- ESL Instructors with a master’s degree or higher educational attainment, and years of ESL teaching experience. Instructors will be fluent English speakers with American accents.
- High quality English language instruction and support services to ESL learners
- Innovative classroom technology
- Certificates issued for successful completion of each level, in addition to transcript evidenced academic credit upon successful completion of the IESL program.
- Scholarship opportunities for students who continue enrollment in Eastern University undergraduate and/or graduate academic programs
- American cultural enrichment activities, field trips, and holiday homestay opportunities
- One-on-one opportunity for language exchange between American and international students
- On-campus student residence living
- Visa counseling
Contact The IESL Office
Eastern University IESL Office, ELC 107
1300 Eagle Road, St. Davids, PA 19087