Eastern Multicultural Student Initiative
The Multicultural Student Initiative at Eastern University seeks to provide opprotunities for multicultural awareness and cultural competency enrichment through education, programs, leadership training, resources, and multicultural activities and events.
To create cultural awareness and cultural competency in a safe environment where students can learn from each other and celebrate the diversity created by God.
What is the Multicultural Student Initiative?
The Multicultural Student Initiative seeks to affirm Eastern University's mission to "seek opportunities to go beyond racial, cultural, and religioous boundaries to share in the beauty that is found in diverse people from around the world" and "to accept the challenge to live in harmony and unity in a campus environment that reflects the muli-ethnic, multi-racial, multicultural nature of the world.
The Multicultural Student Initiative seeks to:
- improve the overall quality of life for all students, particularly students of color on campus, by developing and implementing educational, cultural and social programs that will assist Eastern University in retaining and graduating multicultural and international students.
- create leadership opportunities that foster and enrich campus diversity with a goal of promoting cultural understanding and positiverelationships that support students' success.
- assist with cultivating a climate within Eastern University where everyone values and respects the humanity in each person regardless of individual differences.
- collaborate with university departments to provide programs related to academic, personal, professional and cultural development to foster skills and strategies for being successful at Eastern University.
- promote, coordinate and administer multicultural education opportunities and programs that educate the campus community regarding various traditions, customs and beliefs.
- assist in promoting an accepting and inclusive climate for all students.
- assist in fostering an appreciation for each of our unique human differences.
- addresses issues relating to racial/ethnic, age, sexual,gender, physical disabilities, socio-economic status, political viewpoints, religious/spiritual and/or philosophical beliefs.
Featured Event: Around the World in 50 Minutes
Speaker: Tamara Beal
On Tuesday, November 3, 2015, The Multicultural Student Initiative hosted "Around the World in 50 Minutes", a program designed to provide Eastern students with information on Study Abroad experiences while promoting cultural and global diversity. Eastern students present and share their travel abroad experiences through story telling, conversation, pictures, videos, artifacts, and souvenirs. Tamara spoke about her travels to Tanzania, East Africa.
The goal of the presentations is to provide current students who may be interested in a semester abroad with information that might be helpful in making a decision on not only participating, but which program to choose. Around the World in 50 Minutes provides an opportunity for students, faculty, and staff to travel to another culture in a fast informative way without making travel arrangements.
Assistant Dean of Students for Multicultural Student Initiatives
218 Walton Hall
1300 Eagle Road
St. Davids, PA 19087