In honor of the Inauguration of our 10th President, Ronald A. Matthews, Eastern University is hosting a variety of events to celebrate the history, legacy, and impact of Eastern on the world. To celebrate our commitment to service and local and global impact, we are hosting several service project opportunities in conjunction with existing service learning community partners for students, faculty, and staff to participate in.
Cityteam (Hope Cafe): Since 1957, Cityteam has been serving people in extreme poverty and helping them transform their lives, their families and their communities. Every Saturday restaurant-style dining is provided for the community. Volunteers for Hope Cafe would:
- Serve from 11am-1pm (departure from Eastern at 10:15am)
- Plate desserts and bread, roll silverware and linen napkins, assemble dessert trays, and deep clean the dining room and chapel
Good Works: A Christian nonprofit organization which exists to transform lives by repairing homes for low-income families and share the hope found in Jesus Christ. Volunteers for Good Works would:
- Serve Saturday, March 23 from 8:30am-4:30pm (departure from Eastern at 7:45am)
- Any home repair activity that the home needs. (painting, installing cabinets, using electric saw, drill, tools for building walls, and fixing a house)
YACHT: An Eastern University Campus Ministry, we are a group of young folks who care about the homeless and want to make an impact in their lives one conversation at a time! Volunteers would:
- Serve Saturday, March 23rd from 9:00am-approx. 1:00pm (meet in the Dining Commons at 9:00am to pack lunches, 8:45am if you want to eat breakfast)
- Pack lunches and minister to individuals experiencing homelessness in Philadelphia with this Eastern University campus ministry
Habitat for Humanity
Habitat for Humanity: Eastern University's campus chapter of Habitat for Humanity is dedicated to putting our faith into action through serving our neighbors. We frequently go out into local communities and work on Habitat sites to assist in the construction of homes or in ReStores to organize stock materials. We invite you to participate in work days on low income houses with Eastern's own Habitat for Humanity campus chapter. Volunteers would:
- Serve from 8:00am-1:30pm (departure from Eastern at 7:30am)
- Volunteer with the Build a House Build a Dream event with Habitat for Humanity of Chester County. This contest for fifth graders allows them to build a model of their dream house as a science-fair based activity.