Contact: Dr. Bill Yerger (

If you have questions about PA certification that were not answered on Eastern’s Website go to: or call 717-787-3356.

Q. Which course catalog should I follow?

A. For the education requirements you should follow the course catalog present at the time that you declared the education major. For the CORE requirements, you should follow the courses outlined in the catalog for the year when you entered Eastern University.

Q. What should I do if two courses have been combined and I have already taken one of them in the combination?

A. If the course is still offered separately, you need to take the individual course.  If the course isn’t offered, take the combined course even though a portion of the course has been taken. It should be noted that Communication Arts is synonymous with language arts.

Q. My Degree Audit states that I still need to take EDU401 Teaching of Reading but it is not offered in the course title.

A. If EDU380 was not taken, they need to take both EDU400 and EDU401. If EDU380 was taken, then select either EDU400 or EDU401.

Q. How do recently combined courses affect me?

A. If you have taken You still need to take EDU211 Ed Psych OR

EDUC207 Child, Adolescent and Educational Development
EDUC306 Science and Health for Children OR EDU310 Math for the Teachers of Children
EDUC371 Teaching Math, Science, & Health
EDUC308 Social Studies & Arts for Children OR
EDUC380 Communication Arts for Children
EDUC372 Teaching Language Arts & Social Studies
EDUC380 Communication Arts for Children
EDUC400 Early Literacy Foundations OR
EDUC401 Literacy Foundations for Intermediate Grades

Note:  If EDUC580 is not taken

Both EDUC400 and EDUC401 must be taken.

Q. Are the new requirements in special ed. and ESL classes needed for other education majors?

A. The following three courses are required for all education majors to meet the "highly qualified" requirement by the State.

EDUC303: Ed. And Assessment of the Exceptional Child
EDUC405: Teaching Techniques for Low Incidence Learners
EDUC412:Teaching English As a Second Language

Q. Who is the advisor for a Secondary Education major?

A. A Secondary Education major who officially declared Secondary Education as their second major has both an academic subject advisor and an education Advisor. 

Q. How do the double majors work with the course sequence sheet that is available at the Curriculum Lab?

A. Double Majors are expected to complete all the courses for the identified majors listed under the respective programs, in addition to the education courses outlined based on their education major (elementary/secondary etc.).

Q. Is there a minimum number of credits needed to graduate?

A. Students should complete at least 121 credits that include all course requirements in their major as well as the University's Core and augmented requirements.

Q. Is the 15 credits in an area of concentration optional or required for elementary education students?

A. Yes, an area of concentration, especially in an academic subject, is required for elementary education majors. 

Q. What Praxis Tests do I need to take?

A. PRAXIS I – Everyone must take and it can be taken anytime at some Sylvan Learning Centers. The composite total required is 521.

PPST Reading:  #0710 or 5710 (171 minimum)
PPST Writing: #0720 or 5720 (171 Minimum)
PPST Math:   #0730 or 5730 (170 Minimum)
PRAXIS II– These tests are given at specific times (see and required for Elementary/Special Educ. and all K-12 Certification.
Fundamental Subjects: Content Knowledge  (#0511)

For the Following Certifications Add:

Elementary Education: Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (#0011)
Early Childhood: Early Childhood Ed. (#0020)
Special Education: Educ. of Exceptional Students: Core Content Knowledge (#0353)
Biology: Biology Content Area (#0235)
Chemistry: Chemistry Content Area (#0245)
English: English Language, Literature & Composition (#0041)
Math: Math Content Knowledge (#0061)
Music:  Music Content Knowledge (#0113)
Spanish: Spanish Content Knowledge (#5195); French (#5174)
Soc. St.: Social Studies: Content Knowledge (#0081)
Reading: Reading Specialist (#0300)
H.& P.E.: Health and Physical Education Content Knowledge (#0856)

All other certification: Check on line for the test in your area of certification. For study guides and other questions go to,

Q. Can you take Field experience in the summer or during the Christmas break?

A. If you plan to take Field Experience in a Spring semester, you enroll the course for the Spring semester, complete the 90 hours of observation over the Christmas vacation, and submit the report of your observation in the Spring semester. If you want to do the Field experience during the summer, register the course for the Fall semester and submit a completed report in the Fall. You can also register for Summer 1 and complete it between May 1 and June 23.