Andrew F. Bush, DMin
Chair, Department of Global Studies and Mission
Program Director, Missiology and Anthropology
DMin, Princeton Theological Seminary
Research: Mission spirituality, World Christianity and the globalization of mission, new paradigms for Christian and Muslim engagement, and Arab Christianity.
Statement from Dr. Bush
“During thirty years of mission service in Manila, the Philippines and the Palestinian West Bank I have found inspiration for personal spiritual renewal from the examples of the unsung Christian men and women in these lands who often were making costly decisions to follow Christ. Similarly, majority world Christians certainly will be an important source of guidance for Western Christian missions as it seeks to find its place in the new global Christian missions movement. As scholars of missions we need to learn to listen closely to these followers of Jesus, and be open to the radical insights they offer.”
- Millennials and the Mission of God: A Prophetic Dialogue, Wipf & Stock Publishers, Eugene, Oregon, 2017.
- Learning from the Least: Reflections on a Journey in Mission with Palestinian Christians, Wipf & Stock Publishers, Eugene, Oregon, 2013.
- "Kenosis of Christ and the Redefition of Nationalism and Reconciliation in Israel/Palestine," (chapter) in Mission Spirituality and Authetnic Discipleship, Wonsuk Ma and Kenneth Ross (eds.). Regnum Books, Oxford, 2013.
Papers and Articles Published:
- "Mission and the Palestinian Diaspora." Evangelical Missiological Quarterly, September 2015.
- "The Surprise of the Mission of God." Anabaptist Witness. Vol. 2 Issue 1, April 2015.
- "Bullets and Bibles: The Unhealthy Marriage of Missions and Militarism." PRISM, Palmer Seminary, Fall 2010.
- "The Implications of Christian Zionism for Mission." International Bulletin of Missionary Research, July 2009.
- "A Cross-Generational Conversation Concerning the Future of Western Missions." A paper chosen for presentation at the National Conerence of the Evangelical Missiological Society, September 2015. (Co-authored with EU student Carolyn C. Wason)
- "Mission and the Palestinian Diaspora." A paper chosen for presentation at the National Conference of the Evangelical Missiological Society, Atlanta, Georgia, September 2014.
- "Aspects of Emerging Palestinian Mission: A Field Report." International Association for Mission Studies Conference on Migration, Human Dislocation, and the Good News: Margins as the Center in Christian Mission, Toronto, Canada, August 15-20, 2012.
- "Bullets and Bibles: The Problem of the Persistent Linkage of Missions and Militarism." A paper chosen for presentation at the National Conference of the Evangelical Missiological Society, Orlanda, Florida, September 2009.
- "A Response to Christian Zionism." Missions Leaders Forum, Overseas Missionary Study Center, New Haven, Connecticut, December 2008.
- "A Profile of Harvesters Christian Fellowship: The Challenge of an Indigenous Filipino Mission." A paper presented at the National Conference of the Evangelical Missiological Society, Denver, Colorado, September 2008.
- "Kenosis of Christ and the Redefinition of Nationalism and Reconciliation in Israel/Palestine." A paper presented at the International Association of Mission Studies Conference, Balaton, Hungary, August 2008.
- "The Value of the Kenosis of Christ as a Model for Ministry in Missional Contexts of Violence: A Personal Reflection." Paper presented at the National Evangelical Missiological Society, April 8, 2006.
- "The Implications of Christian Zionism for Mission." Keynote Presentation at the Pruitt Lectures on World Mission, Baylor University, November 2005.
- "Peace and Justice Concerning Israel and Palestine." Keynote Presentation, The Peace and Justice Group, Franconia Mennonite Conference, Spruce Lake, Pennsylvania, February 2016.
- "Challenges in Discipleship of Muslim Background Believers." The Palestinian Bible Society, Ramallah, the State of Palestine, June 2015. (This presentation was the result of a year of field research and analysis. Eastern University students participated significantly in the analysis of the field data.)
- "Evangelical Stream in Christian History: The Witness of Francis of Assisi." Eastern University Chapel, February 2015.
- "Learning from the Least." Eastern University, Windows on the World, November 2013.
- "Colliding Dreams: Contemporary Perspectives on Israel and Palestine." Windows on the World Lecture, November 8, 2012.
- "Understanding the C1-C5 Debate in Contextual Missions to Muslims." Westmont College, Santa Barbara, California, March 15, 2010.
- "Learning from the Least: Reflections on Service to Muslims." The Students Theological Society, Westmont College, Santa Barbara, California, March 15, 2010.
- "Missions in a Changing World." Three-day missions seminar Trinity Fellowship Church, Amarillo, Texas, May 13-15, 2010.
- "Why America Needs to Hear the Palestinian Voice." A panel discussion sponsored by Jewish Voices for Peace, Wayne, Pennsylvania, November 16, 2010.
- "Jesus and World Religions." Moderator of panel discussion with David Shenk, Eastern University, October 27, 2010.
- "Learning from the Least: Insights from the Fringes into the Heart of Missions." Craven Wilson Lectures on Mission and Evangelism, Perkins School of Theology, Southern Methodist University, October 2009.
- "The Witness of Palestinian Christians." Windows on the World, Eastern University, October 2008.