- Location: St. Davids, PA; Online
- Delivery: Blended accelerated format or fully online
- Length: One Semester
- Start Dates: Fall, Spring and Summer Terms
- Cost: View our affordable tuition rates. Receive a 20% Alumni Discount if you earned an undergraduate degree from EU!
- Financial Aid: Discover our partner grants, military benefits, and federal financial aid options that may be available to you.
The course will assist coaches who will be working with adolescents in middle and high school settings. The course is an interactive one in which students will be immersed in problem solving scenarios. The course is based on the knowledge gleaned from sports scientists who have applied their intellectual skills to discover improved methods of coaching and delivering the most current sport first aid procedures. This information is integrated with the wisdom of master coaches and athletic trainers.
Students will be exposed to the most important coaching principles (development of a philosophy, principles of behavior, teaching technical and tactical skills, principles of training, and principles of management). They will also be able to demonstrate the proper first responder techniques. The goal of the class is to have athletes strive to improve their athletic skills and interpersonal relationships within a Christian world view perspective.
This graduate level course is for athletic coaches at all PIAA (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association) schools to be in compliance with proper training and best practices as mandated by July 1, 2016. The course will provide all middle and high school coaches and volunteer coaches in the state of Pennsylvania with a method to satisfy this requirement for coaching education and first aid. The PIAA oversees all athletic programs of member schools in the state of Pennsylvania. Coaches involved with students from seventh to twelfth grade must attend a Principles of Coaching and Sports First Aid class and pass the final examination of 100 questions with an 80% grade. The course has been reviewed by the PIAA and is endorsed for this purpose (11/2015).
- Students can earn graduate credits while completing PIAA requirements
- Course can also be used as an elective in the Graduate Programs in Education HPED Graduate Teaching Certification Program and other certification or master’s education programs
- Course will satisfy ACT 48 requirement
- Course can be taken in degree or non-degree formats
Learn More: Why Eastern?
Please check the State Authorizations page to determine if Eastern University’s program fulfills your state credentialing requirements. Students who seek similar credentialing in states other than Pennsylvania are advised to contact the appropriate credentialing agency within their home state to seek information and additional guidance about credentialing in your state of residence. Additional state or local district requirements may exist for field placements in this state. Out-of-state student placements cannot be guaranteed by the program or the College of Education. Students are responsible for following all state and local district requirements and regulations for their field placement.