Counseling Psychology Social Justice Initiative Scholarship
Essay Prompt | Fall 2017
The mission of Eastern University has long been dedicated to issues of social justice in our local community and in the world. We acknowledge with sorrow the brokenness of the world at personal, national, and international levels. In particular, we seek to motivate students to assume responsibility for justice and to show a transformative influence — especially regarding social, political, and economic justice. To further this vision, the Counseling Psychology Department will offer a limited amount of scholarships to individuals who have demonstrated a commitment to social justice and community outreach.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria:
- The candidate must be accepted into one of the following degree-seeking programs for the 2017-2018 school year: MA in Counseling, MA in Counseling with concentration in Trauma Studies, MA in Counseling with concentration in ABA, MA in School Counseling, MS in School Psychology
- The candidate must have demonstrated an interest and involvement in social justice issues through past or current volunteer, professional or educational experiences.
- If chosen, the candidate must begin courses in the 2017 Fall Cohort, beginning August 29th, 2017.
- The candidate cannot be eligible for any other institutional scholarship.
- A 750-word essay responding to the following prompt:
a. Describe how your personal and professional life experiences have impacted your understanding of social justice. Identify how this understanding has shaped your personal and professional goals and why you have chosen to attend Eastern University’s Counseling Psychology programs to fulfill those goals.
Application Deadline: May 16th, 2017. Please submit essay submissions to your enrollment counselor via email.