Dianne DeLong, PhD, MSN, RN, CNE
Chair, Associate Professor of Nursing
Office: Gatehouse 103-B
Ph.D. Capella University
M.S.N. Villanova University
B.S.N. Kutztown University
Diploma in Nursing, Allentown Hospital School of Nursing
CNE Certified Nurse Educator
Dianne DeLong is the new chairperson of the Department of Nursing. Dr. DeLong came to Eastern University from the College of Saint Elizabeth in Morristown, New Jersey where she was the Chair of Nursing in charge of and taught courses in both the BSN and MSN programs. Dr. DeLong has been in nursing over thirty five years and has been actively teaching for over twenty five years. She is a diploma graduate from Allentown Hospital School of Nursing who returned to Kutztown University for her BSN. She continued her studies for the MSN in nursing education at Villanova University and completed her Ph.D. in higher education leadership through Capella University. Dr. DeLong holds certification as a Nurse Educator.
Her clinical practice has been primarily in pediatric and maternal-child nursing, although she has worked in mental health, medical-surgical, community health and long-term care nursing. Her experience encompasses preparation for professional accreditation and work in curriculum and institutional research. Her interest areas in education include curriculum development as well as assessment of learning, and leadership development. She is a member of the American Nurses Association, National League for Nursing, and Sigma Theta Tau International.
Why I Teach at Eastern
My decision to work and teach at Eastern University is directly related to their commitment and support of integrating Christian faith in the lives of students both in and out of the classroom. The focus on holistic nursing in the Nursing Program and treating the whole person starting with ourselves was truly a draw that I wanted to be a part of and is a uniqueness that EU offers. I feel truly blessed to be a part of the EU community.
Honors and Awards
- LCCC Faculty Service/Teaching Excellence Award
- Red Cross of the Greater Lehigh Valley Special Citation for Exceptional Volunteer Service of Cedar Crest College nursing program participation
- DeLong, D. (2010). Nursing education leaders’ perceived leadership practices (Doctoral dissertation). Capella University, Minneapolis, MN (UMI no. 3439502)
- Kyle, T. (2008) Essentials of Pediatrics, Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: Philadelphia, PA) Chapter Reviewer.
- Perceived Leadership Practices of Nursing Education Leaders, Sigma Theta Tau Research Night, Theta Rho. Cedar Crest College, Spring 2011 (podium presentation).
- Pharmacology Use of the Elderly Occupational Therapy Conference. Lehigh Carbon Community College, June 2003.
- Obesity in Children Lehigh Valley Early Childhood Association Conference. Lehigh Carbon Community College, April, 2000.
- Growth and Development of the Toddler Lehigh Valley Early Childhood Association Conference. Lehigh Carbon Community College, April 1999.
- Child Abuse Week of the Young Child. Lehigh Carbon Community College, April 1998.
- Perceived Leadership Practices of Nursing Education Leaders, College of Saint Elizabeth Health and Wellness Area Research Day Morristown, NJ, October 2012
- Perceived Leadership Practices of Nursing Education Leaders, Drexel University Nursing Education Institute, Savannah, GA, June 2012
- Community Assessment Project of ADN Nursing Students, National Organization for Associate Degree Nursing National Conference, Pittsburgh PA, November 1998
- Many Faces of Nursing ADNSO Nursing Celebration, Lehigh Carbon Community College Schnecksville, PA, May 1996
- American Nurses Association
- National League for Nursing
- Pennsylvania League for Nursing, Area 2, Member, Past Board of Director
- Sigma Theta Tau (Xi Omega, Charter Member; Theta Rho), International Nursing Honor Society
- Villanova University Nursing Alumni Association
- Allentown Hospital School of Nursing Alumni Association