Mary Anne Peters, PhD, MSN, RN
Professor of Nursing
Office: Gatehouse 201
Ph.D. Widener University
M.S.N. University of Pennsylvania
B.S.N. Pennsylvania State University
Dr. Peters has over 40 years as a nurse and educator specializing in maternal child health. She is currently professor of nursing and previously served as chairperson of the Department of Nursing at Eastern University for seven years. Dr. Peters also served as an associate professor and the Director of Graduate Nursing Programs at LaSalle University from 2003-2008. She has been employed in differing nursing roles in varied health care settings such as nurse manager, staff development coordinator, and clinician, throughout her nursing career.
Dr. Peters serves as a site visitor for the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). She was elected and served as president of the Pennsylvania Higher Education Nursing Schools Association (PHENSA) from 2012-2014. She has published numerous articles on nursing research, nursing education, and evidence based practice among other subjects. Additionally, she has raised over $400,000 in grant and scholarship monies for nursing programs and students.
Dr. Peters is a dedicated professor who cares for her students and demands excellence. One of her greatest joys is sharing her love for maternal child nursing with students.
Courses Taught at Eastern
Nursing Research; Nursing Care of Children and Adolescents; Maternal Child Nursing; Health Care Informatics; Health Promotion and Education; Academic Nursing Essentials; Introduction to Faith, Reason & Justice
Why I Teach at Eastern
I am truly blessed to have the opportunity to teach at Eastern University. The University’s commitment to faith, reason, and justice is vibrant and provides an exciting environment in which to teach. Eastern’s intentional commitment to a Christ-centered educational experience provides me the opportunity to teach what I believe. In other words, I am a whole person because my faith is an essential part of what I do. Nurses heal whole people, not parts, and to do so they must be whole themselves.
Honors and Awards
- Chimes - Junior Women's Honor Society at the Pennsylvania State University
- Sigma Theta Tau - Xi Chapter - Inducted Spring 1985
- Sigma Theta Tau - Delta Tau Chapter - President-Elect 2002-2003; President 2003-2005; Member 2008-present
- Sigma Theta Tau - Kappa Delta Chapter - 2005-2008
- Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching - Eastern University, May 1999
- Leadership in Academic Nursing Program Fellow, AACN, 2008-2009
- Boylston, M., & Peters, M.A. (2010). The journey to NCLEX RN success: Charting the course. In Wergers, C.E. (Ed.) Nursing students and their concerns (pp. 1-18). Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publisher.
- Wolf, Z.R., Beitz, J., Peters, M.A., Wieland, D. (2009). Teaching baccalaureate nursing students in clinical settings: Development and testing the clinical teaching knowledge test. Journal of Professional Nursing, 25, 130-144.
- Peters, M. A. (2008). Defining the boundaries of the nurse faculty role. Nurse Educator, 33(5) 193-197.
- Peters, M. A. (2008). Nursing faculty shortage. Nursing2008, 38(2), 44-45.
- Peters, M. A. (2007, September). Clinical Nurse Leader: A “go to person.” Pennsylvania Nurse, 17.
- Peters, M. A. (2006). Compassion: An investigation into the experience of nursing faculty. International Journal for Human Caring, 10(3), 38-46.
- Peters, M. A., & Boylston, M. (2006). Mentoring adjunct faculty: Innovative solutions. Nurse Educator, 31(2), 1-5.
- Peters, M. A. (2005, December). Evidence-based practice: Is it necessary for quality nursing care? Pennsylvania Nurse, 25-26.
- Peters, M. A. (2005). Reflections on compassion [Abstract]. International Journal for Human Caring, 9 (2), 71.
- Peters, M. A. (2005). Compassion: An Investigation into the experience of nursing faculty [Abstract]. International Journal for Human Caring, 9(2), 72.
- Dunn, P., Gies, M. L., & Peters, M. A. (2005). Perinatal litigation and related nursing issues. Clinics in Perinatology, 32(1), 277-290.
- Boylston, M. & Peters, M. A. (2004). Interim leadership in an era of change. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship. 1(1), 26 Available at http://www.bepress.com/ijnes/vol1/iss1/art26.
- Boylston, M., Peters, M.A., & Lacey, M. (2004). Adult student satisfaction in traditional and accelerated RN to BSN programs. Journal of Professional Nursing, 20(1), 23-32.
- Peters, M. A. (1989). The Nursery at Riddle: Combining state of the art technology with tender loving care for your baby. Regarding Women, Fall, 1.
- Sanborn, T., & Peters, M. A. (1987). Breastfeeding: What you need to know. Philadelphia: Lankenau Hospital.
- Brooten, D., Peters, M. A., Glatts, M., Gaffney, S. E., Knapp, M., Cohen, S., & Jordan, C. (1987). A survey of nutrition, caffeine, and alcohol intake in early pregnancy in an urban population. Journal of Nurse Midwifery, 32, 85 - 90.
- Peters, M. A. (1986). Nurses’ learning must never end. The Scope, Fall, 3.
- “Accreditation Update” Pennsylvania Higher Education Nursing Schools Association Semi-Annual Meeting. Harrisburg, PA, October 2013. (Podium Presentation)
- “Welcoming the Stranger: Christian Hospitality a Foundation for Nursing Practice.” Third Biennial Innovations in Faith Based Nursing Conference, Indian Wesleyan University, Marion, IN, June 2012 (Peer Reviewed Podium Presentation)
- “Welcoming the stranger: Hospitality as a Foundation for Nursing Practice.” International Association of Human Caring Annual Conference. Philadelphia, PA, May 2012. (Peer Reviewed Podium Presentation)
- “Evolving Case Study Simulations: A strategy to Promote Integrated Learning in Beginning Nursing Students.” Professional Nurse Educators Group (PNEG) 38th Annual National Conference. Baltimore, MD, October, 2011. K. Guevin, M.A. Peters (Peer Reviewed Poster Presentation)
- “RN to BSN Education: Discovering the Possibilities.” Pediatric Update Day, A. I. duPont Hospital for Children Wilmington, DE, May 2011. (Podium Presentation)
- “Welcoming the Stranger: Christian Hospitality a Foundation for Nursing Practice.” Baylor University Symposium on Faith and Culture: Human dignity and the Future of Health Care, October 2010. (Peer Reviewed Podium Presentation)
- “The Lived Experience of Acute Myocardial Infarction in Urban African Americans.” Sigma Theta Tau International Biennium, November 2007. (Peer Reviewed Podium Presentation)
- “HealthCARE Camp: Exploring opportunities.” American Public Health Association 135th Annual Meeting and Exposition. November 2007. R. Elliott, M.A. Peters, M. Madden (Peer Reviewed Poster Presentation)
- “Kids into health careers: Public health nurses developing linkages with middle school adolescents regarding options for health careers.” American Public Health Association 135th Annual Meeting and Exposition. November 2007. M. Madden, M.E. Miller. M.A. Peters (Peer Reviewed Podium Presentation)
- “Reflections on Compassion.” 27th Conference of the International Association for Human Caring, Lake Tahoe, CA, June 2005. (Peer Reviewed Podium Presentation)
- “Compassion: An Investigation into the Experience of Nursing Faculty.” 27th Conference of the International Association for Human Caring, Lake Tahoe, CA, June 2005. (Peer Reviewed Podium Presentation)
- “Adolescent Violence: Alive at 25.” La Salle University Neighborhood Nursing Center, June, 2005. (Podium Presentation)
- “Boundaries of the Nurse Educator’s Role.” La Salle University Adjunct Faculty Orientation, January 2005, September 2006. Podium Presentation)
- “The Experiences of Nurse Educators with Compassion.” Delta Tau Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau, March, 2003. (Podium Presentation)
- “Ethical Dilemmas in Everyday Nursing.” Penns Wood Chapter, Oncology Nursing Society, June 2002. (Podium Presentation)
- “Nursing and the Challenge of the Next Millennium.” Eastern College Friends of the Library – Executive Board, Planned Gifts Committee, American Film and Video Center – Executive Board, 2001.
- “Transcultural Nursing - A Christian Perspective.” Nurses’ Christian Fellowship, National Student Nurses’ Association Annual Meeting. Philadelphia, PA, 1994.
- “Hematology/ Immunology, CCRN Review Course.” Southeastern Pennsylvania Chapter, American Association of Critical Care Nurses, 1992 - 1994.
- “Hazards of Drug Use in Pregnancy.” St. Vincent’s Maternity Home, Havertown, PA, 1987.
- “S.I.D.S.” Marple Newtown High School, Marple, PA, 1986.
- “Identifying the High Risk Pregnancy.” Nazareth Hospital, Philadelphia, PA, 1986.
- “Survey of Nutrition, Alcohol, and Smoking Intake in Early Pregnancy in an Urban Population.” NAACOG District III Annual Conference, Wilmington, DE, 1985.
- National League for Nurses
- Nurses' Christian Fellowship
- American Nurses Association
- Pennsylvania State Nurses Association
- Society of Pediatric Nurses
- Association of Women's Health, Obstetric, Neonatal Nursing