Mary Boylston, Ed.D.
Professor of Nursing
BSN Two and MSN Admissions Liaison
Office: Gatehouse 204
Ed.D. Immaculata University
M.S.N. University of Pennsylvania
B.S.N. Villanova University
AHN-BC American Holistic Nursing Association
At Eastern Since 1985
Dr. Boylston graduated from Villanova with a BSN, the University of Pennsylvania with a MSN in Acute Care Nursing, and Immaculata University with a doctorate in Educational Leadership. With the completion of a Nursing Administration Certificate from Villanova and Nurse Manager Certificate from Sigma Theta Tau, International Nursing Honor Society, Dr. Boylston has been an academic presence in the Department of Nursing since 1985.
Previously certified as a critical care nurse, Dr. Boylston worked in the CTICU, PACU, and the telemetry units at Lankenau Hospital in Wynnewood, PA. With additional experience in hospice, community and public health nursing, she completed the Train the Trainer Program for the End of Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC) and is currently the ELNEC Coordinator for the Department of Nursing. She also holds a certification as an Advanced Practice Board Certified Holistic Nurse.
Appointed as a site visitor by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNS), she examines comparable nursing programs for achievement of national standards and outcomes. Within the Commonwealth, Dr. Boylston has also worked for the PA Department of Education as a site visitor.
The former women’s tennis team coach, Dr. Boylston has also served as Faculty Moderator of the Eastern University Chapter of the Student Nurses Association of Pennsylvania (SNAP), Nursing Informatics Coordinator, CCGPS Faculty Development Director, and two stints as Chair of the Department of Nursing. She is also the editor of the Nursing Connections magazine and serves as the BSN Two Department of Nursing Liaison.
Active in Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society, Delta Tau Chapter at Large, she has served as the Eastern University Counselor and Chapter Newsletter Editor. Nationally, she has been appointed to the Sigma Theta Tau International Nurse Leader Task Force.
Courses Taught at Eastern
Scholarly Writing in Nursing, Health Care Informatics, Theoretical Foundations of Nursing, Leadership in Nursing Practice, Nursing Senior Seminar / Practicum
Why I Teach at Eastern
I am honored to teach at Eastern because the mission is vibrant within the community. Faith, reason, and justice can transform our world.
- Health Care of Marginalized and Vulnerable Populations
- Boylston, M. T., & Peters, M. A. (2010). The journey to NCLEX-RN success: Charting the course (chapter) .Nursing Students and Their Concerns. Hauppauge, New York: Nova Science Publishers Inc.
- Boylston, M. T., & Blair, A. (2009). Minimizing the stress of accelerated adult education. Hauppauge, New York: Nova Science Publishers Inc.
- Boylston, M. T. (2009). Adult Student Satisfaction in an Accelerated RN to BSN Program: Recruiting and Marketing Strategies. Germany: Verlag Publishers.
Select Articles: Most Significant Works
- Editor and Contributor (2012-present). Nursing Connections Magazine. Eastern University Publication.
- Boylston, M. T., & O’Rourke, R. (2013). What are second degree students preconceived attitudes toward homeless and poor: A pilot study. Journal of Professional Nursing, 29(5), 309-317.
- Boylston, M. T., & Burnett, I. (2010). Education, adaptation, and orientation of Korean nurses in a US health care system. Journal for Nurses in Staff Development, 26(1), 23-27.
- Boylston, M. T., & Jackson, C. (2008/September/October). Adult Student Satisfaction in an Accelerated RN to BSN Program: A Follow up Study. Journal of Professional Nursing. 24(5), 285 – 295.
- Chiatti, B., & Boylston, M. T. (2008/September). Education, adaptation, and orientation of Korean nurses in a US health care system. Poster Session. Transcultural Nursing Society National Conference. Minneapolis, MN.
- Author (2006). Kozier et al. Fundamentals in Nursing Practice (8th ed). Companion Web site. http//:www.prenhall/kozier.com
- Peters, M. A., & Boylston, M. T. (2006, March/April). Mentoring adjunct faculty: Innovative solutions. Nurse Educator, 31(2), 1-5.
- Boylston, M. T., & Peters, M. A. (2004). Interim leadership in an era of change. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 1(1), 1-14.
- Boylston, M. Peters, M. & Lacey, M (2004). Adult Student Satisfaction in Traditional and Accelerated RN to BSN Programs. Journal of Professional Nursing, 20 (1), 23 –32.
- Contributing author (2003). Chapter 4: Overview of Professional Standards. Prentice Hall Reviews in Nursing Series: Fundamentals and Skills. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall Publications.