Your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) has been selected for the Federal Verification Process. This process is required by federal regulations to be completed by the Financial Aid Office to ensure that the information reported on your FAFSA is accurate. In order for us to complete this process, we will need for you to either complete the IRS Data Retrieval on your FAFSA OR request an IRS Tax Return Transcript. Please review the information below regarding how to complete the IRS Data Retrieval OR to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
IRS Data Retrieval Process
This process will allow you to automatically have your family’s income information transferred to your FAFSA. The process enables FAFSA to request and retrieve income and tax data directly from the IRS.
All 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 FAFSA On The Web applicants, and the parents of dependent applicants, who indicate that they have filed their federal tax returns prior to completing their FAFSA, may use the FAFSA-IRS Data Retrieval process to complete their FAFSA.
How the IRS Data Retrieval works: If you and your parents have filed federal tax returns before starting the FAFSA, you will be able to transfer your income information while completing the FAFSA. If you have not filed federal tax returns before starting the FAFSA, you may transfer the IRS Data Retrieval information after filing federal tax returns by using the FAFSA corrections process.
Electronically filed tax return information will be available online from the IRS site 1-2 weeks after the return has been filed; data from paper tax returns will be available in 6-8 weeks.
Families must actively choose to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval. When you choose to do so, you will be transferred to the Internal Revenue Service web site. You will need to authenticate your identity before any personal information is displayed.
Some Families Will Not Be Able to Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool:
- Parents of a dependent student filing separate tax returns;
- An applicant’s parent with a change in marital status after the end of the tax year on December 31;
- Anyone who has filed an amended tax return;
- Applicant or applicant’s parents who have filed a foreign tax return.
Families Unable to Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool:
If you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool you must request an IRS Transcript to verify your income.
IRS Tax Return Transcript Request Process
Tax filers can request a free transcript of their 2012 (for the 2013-2014 FAFSA) or 2013 (for the 2014-2015 FAFSA) tax return from the IRS in one of three ways noted below. IRS Tax Return Transcripts requested online and over the phone cannot be sent directly to a third party by the IRS.
Available on the IRS Web site at www.irs.gov
- Under Tools, click "Get Transcript of Your Tax Records"
- Click "Get Transcript Online"
- Create an account or sign in
- Enter first name, last name, and email address, Click on “Send Email Confirmation Code”. Login to your personal email to retrieve the code -- do not close the original window. Enter the code in the original window. (The code will expire in 30 minutes.) Select verify email confirmation code.
- Enter personal information: SSN, DOB, Tax filing status, address, and phone number (optional).
- Select checkbox and click the "Continue" button to proceed as guest. Proceeding as a guest user will require you to enter this information every time you access the system. If you would like this information stored for future use do not check the box. Click the "Continue" button to create a User ID and password.
- Answer 4 security questions. **If the security questions are answered incorrectly, you could be locked out of the site for 24 hours.
- Choose a site phrase, site image, 4 questions, username and password (needed only if not proceeding as a guest user.)
- Select the reason a transcript is being requested.
- Choose the correct year ("2012" for the 2013-2014 FAFSA or "2013" for the 2014-2015 FAFSA) under Return Transcript.
- You will then be presented with a PDF copy of your tax return transcript. Print and submit the transcript to Eastern; make sure to include the student’s name and EU ID on the transcript.
Available from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their social security number and the numbers in their street address. Generally this will be numbers of the street address that was listed on the latest tax return filed. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- Select “Option 2” to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and then enter “2012” (for the 2013-2014 academic year) or "2013" (for the 2014-2015 academic year).
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address that was used in their telephone request, within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request.
Paper Request Form – IRS Form 4506T-EZ
IRS Form 4506T-EZ can be downloaded at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf
- Complete lines 1 – 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form. Note that line 3 should be the most current address as filed with the IRS. It is the address where the IRS Tax Return Transcript will be sent. If the address has recently changed, include the address listed on the latest tax return filed on Line 4.
- Line 5 provides tax filers with the option to have their IRS Tax Return Transcript mailed directly to a third party by the IRS. If you would like to have this information sent directly to the Financial Aid Office, please use the following address: Financial Aid Office, Eastern University, 1300 Eagle Road, St. Davids, PA 19087.
- On line 6, enter “2012” to receive IRS tax information for the 2012 tax year that is required for the 13-14 FAFSA or enter “2013” to receive IRS tax information for the 2013 tax year that is required for the 14-15 FAFSA.
- The tax filers (or spouse if requesting information from a joint tax return) must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number. Only one signature is required to request a transcript for a joint return.
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506T-EZ to the appropriate address or fax number on pg. 2 of Form 4506T-EZ.
- Tax filers can expect to receive their transcript within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives and processes their signed request. NOTE: Processing form 4506T-EZ means verifying/validating the information provided on the form.