Friends of the Library
Friends of the Library is a group of community members, students, EU alumni, corporate partners, and others who support the Warner Memorial Library and Eastern University. For 50 years Friends has provided books, materials, computers and other enrichment to the library. This active group continually seeks new avenues that support Eastern's and the library's mission to provide scholarship and spiritual formation to the student body.
Friends of Warner Memorial Library exists to serve the academic community of Eastern University through:
- Raising designated funds for Library projects.
- Organizing book, art and essay contests that encourage intellectual and spiritual development.
- Encouraging gifts to Eastern University's endowments.
- Soliciting book and material gifts.
- Sponsoring dinners, lectures, art displays, concerts and cultural events.
- Aiding library staff in their professional development.
Benefits of Joining
Joining Friends of the Library is a win-win for both the Eastern University community and for you, the donor. You provide vital, relevant support for the library's growing and changing services and resources. In return, you receive:
- Access and use of the Warner Memorial Library with its wifi guest access, computers, on-campus database access, study rooms, books and media.
- Borrow books from our collection for 30 days at a time.
- Attend Eastern University's cultural activities relating to music, dance, fine arts, theatre, academic forums, and planetarium events.
- Participate in the University events with local, state, and nationally recognized speakers.
- Enjoy stimulating sessions and speakers at Friends of the Library sponsored events and dinners.
Friends of the Library digital collection of Eastern University's student newspapers
Through a generous gift made by Friends of the Library, the library digitized the newspapers of Eastern University– both The Spotlight (1952-1980) and The Waltonian (1980-present). Prior to digitization, there was no index to these publications which made searching them very difficult and time consuming. Now each issue has been digitized by Northern Micrographics and is freely available for viewing and full-text searching on the web. View the collection at http://rescarta.eastern.edu/.
Jonathan Orr Essay Contest
This annual contest recognizes undergraduate student essays that demonstrate excellence in communicating how books have influenced the opinion of the student concerning significant questions of the day. Students are given a topic and are asked to write an essay of 400-750 words pertaining to the topic.
Click here for a copy of the FOL brochure and for more information on how you can become a Friend. Thank you for considering becoming a Friend of the Library!
Friends of the Library
1300 Eagle Road
St. Davids, PA 19087