Students who do not fall under the residency requirement but are interested in living on-campus, must send an email through the Eastern University account as it serves as proof of identification to the Housing Office stating their request. Students will be placed on a waitlist until all required students are placed, if space is available, students will fill out the online Housing Card and will be placed upon preferences and availability. It is important to note that the Housing Office cannot guarantee placement within a student's preferences.

Commuter Student Status

Eastern University is a residential University, meaning unless you fit under the five categories below you are required to live in Eastern community on-campus: 

1. Living at the home address with parent(s) or guardian(s) within a 50-mile radius.
2. Currently serving in the military reserves or have previously served in the military.
3. Attaining 23 years of age before the beginning of the academic year of enrollment.
4. Married.
5. Part-time student

Students can request Commuter Student Status on their Housing Affirmation form, at that time a Request Form will be sent to them. If the student fits under the five categories stated and are approved, they will receive a letter from the Housing Office with more information, this letter should be kept for their records. Students are encouraged to reach out to Financial Aid prior to requesting a change in residency status as Commuter Student Status may affect their Aid package.

Students who do not fit into these criteria have two options to further pursue consideration for commuter status. Primarily, students can request to be placed on a waitlist to be granted commuter status. Being on the waitlist earlier or later in the year does not necessarily ensure priority over other students on the list. The decision to allow a student to commute will include the following considerations: a student's accumulated credit hours, GPA, and disciplinary record. Ultimately, the University only grants commuter status to students if it requires more space for on-campus housing. Thus, the wait list is put together only for the University to use at its discretion, if at all. 

Secondarily, if a student thinks that they have a unique circumstance that requires the University to consider granting commuter status outside of its policy, the student should write a letter of appeal and send it to the Dean of Students. This appeal should be a very detailed description of the circumstances the student is dealing with that have compelled them to appeal. It should also include the student's contact information. This letter needs to be written and delivered directly to the Student Development Office or faxed to the office at 610-341-1705. Submitting this letter of appeal does not guarantee that commuter status will be granted. The Housing Coordinator will be in contact with the student about the letter and will move forward with the process from there.

Room Change Request

Eastern University considers the residence hall to be a venue for learning in many similar capacities as the classroom. Oftentimes students have never had to share a room with someone else, especially not someone who they know minimally at best. The residence hall is a good environment for students to work through these issues with one another and to develop considerate living habits as well as better communication and conflict-resolution skills. Certainly there will be roommate conflicts that will be best resolved by adjusting students' housing assignments. However, students will be expected to discuss conflicts directly with their roommate(s), and then with either their RA or RD before the Housing Office will consider processing a housing change request.

As a general policy, the Housing Office does not process housing change requests for the first six weeks of the semester. It has been our experience that students are apt to judge another person too quickly or harshly, and thus assess their situation incompletely. Requiring that students work through the situation in order to live peaceably for the first six weeks often gives them the time and space to see another from a more understanding and reasonable perspective.. 

The Housing Office will certainly field any housing change requests, but will strongly encourage the students to incorporate their RA and/or RD into the conflict resolution process. These personnel are trained with an ability to offer insight and mediation skills.

  • All room assignments are made through the Housing Office.
  • Student-initiated room changes must be pre-approved mutually by the Residence Director and Housing Office in advance of any move.
  • Student requests for a housing change must be received by the Housing Office either in person or via detailed written request from the student's Eastern email account. The request must include a rationale for the need to move. The Housing Office will work to accommodate the request, but cannot guarantee that a student will be reassigned at all, let alone that the student's more detailed housing requests will be met.
  • Students who move without pre-approval or permission WILL BE ASKED TO MOVE BACK and WILL BE FINED.
  • The Housing Office will never move a student from a room they have been assigned at the request of another student or parent.
  • If a housing change request has been made and then accommodated, the student, by making the request, is AGREEING TO PAY THE FULL SEMESTER HOUSING COST OF THE ROOM THEY ARE BEING REASSIGNED TO, even if the move is accommodated after the semester has begun.