BA in Communication Studies
Why Major in Communication Studies?
"It is estimated that 75% of a person’s day is spent communicating in some way."
Multiple national surveys identify oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills as the most important competencies employers look for when hiring and promoting. As communication technologies rapidly develop, employers in various professions and industries need individuals who understand the relationships among media, messages, and audiences and know how to craft messages that connect well.
Beyond success in the workplace, the value of good communication springs from the Creator and flows through all of life. Good communication is both ethical and effective. It is essential to harmonious human relationships and just societies. It is fundamental to democracy and vital to peace across the world’s diverse cultures. Scientific studies even reveal a direct connection between the quality of your communication and the quality of your life -- socially, emotionally and physically.
So -- why NOT major in communication studies? It’s a great asset for any college graduate.
Why Major in Communication Studies at Eastern?
In Eastern University’s Communication Studies program, you will . . .
- Receive individual attention and guidance in a close-knit department with caring faculty and enthusiastic students
- Be equipped as a competent, creative, and ethical communicator who integrates Eastern University’s commitment to faith, reason, and justice into each communication act
- Develop a deeper understanding of the nature and power of communication, grounded in relevant philosophy, social science, textual analysis, and theology
- Learn from accomplished faculty who have presented and published articles and books on new media, conflict resolution, sports communication, racial reconciliation, religious communication, popular culture, and communication ethics
You’ll also have opportunities to . . .
- Gain workplace experience through internships in the greater Philadelphia area, Washington DC, and beyond
- Study away or abroad: Los Angeles Film Study Center, American Studies Program in Washington D.C., Australia Studies Program, Focus on the Family Leadership Institute in Colorado, etc.
- Be inducted into the international communication honor society (if your academic work meets Lambda Pi Eta’s high standards)
- Do research that may qualify for presentation at academic conferences (positioning you for graduate school)
- Meet nationally known communication scholars at the annual Communication Studies Lecture