Philosophy Faculty Research/Publications
Dr. Phillip Cary
- Good News for Anxious Christians (working title), Brazos Press, forthcoming 2010.
- Augustine and Philosophy, co-edited with Kim Paffenroth, Lexington Books, forthcoming 2010.
- Jonah, Brazos Press (series: Theological Commentary on the Bible), 2008.
- Inner Grace: Augustine in the Traditions of Plato and Paul, Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Outward Signs: The Powerlessness of External Things in Augustine's Thought, Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Augustine's Invention of the Inner Self: The Legacy of a Christian Platonist, Oxford University Press, 2000.
Audio/video lecture courses
- The History of Christian Theology (36 half-hour lectures), The Teaching Company, 2008.
- Martin Luther: Law, Gospel and Reformation (24 half-hour lectures), The Teaching Company, 2004.
- Great Minds of the West (16 half-hour lectures contributed to a course of 80 lectures done in collaborationwith several other lecturers) The Teaching Company, 2000.
- Philosophy and Religion in the West, (32 half-hour lectures) The Teaching Company, 1998.
- Augustine: Philosopher and Saint (12 half-hour lectures) The Teaching Company, 1997.
- “Sola Fide: Luther and Calvin” in Concordia Theological Quarterly, July/Oct. 2007.
- “A brief history of the concept of free will: Issues that are and are not germane to legal reasoning” in Behavioral Sciences and the Law 25/2 (March/April 2007) 165-181.
- “The New Evangelical Subordinationism: Reading Inequality into the Trinity” in The Priscilla Papers, 20/4, (Autumn 2006).
- "Why Luther is not Quite Protestant: The Logic of Faith in a Sacramental Promise" in Pro Ecclesia, 14/4 (Fall 2005).
- "The Incomprehensibility of God and the Origin of the Thomistic Concept of the Supernatural" in Pro Ecclesia 9:3 (Summer 2002).
- "What Licentius Learned: A Narrative Reading of the Cassiciacum Dialogues," in Augustinian Studies, 29/1 (1998).
- "Believing the Word: a Proposal about Knowing Other Persons" in Faith and Philosophy, 13/1 (Jan. 1996).
- "Historical Perspectives on Trinitarian Doctrine" in Religious and Theological Studies Fellowship Bulletin, Nov/Dec 1995.
- "The Logic of Trinitarian Doctrine" in Religious and Theological Studies Fellowship Bulletin, Sept/Oct 1995.
- "On Behalf of Classical Trinitarianism: an historical and systematic critique of Rahner on the Trinity," The Thomist, July 1992.
- “Augustine” in Routledge Companion to Philosophy of Religion, ed. C. Meister and P. Copan (Routledge, 2007).
- "The Weight of Love: Augustinian Metaphors of Movement in Dante's Souls," in Augustine and Literature, ed. J. Doody, R.P. Kennedy and K. Paffenroth (Lexington Books, 2006).
- "United Inwardly by Love: Augustine's Social Ontology" in Augustine and Politics, ed. J Doody, K.L. Hughes and K. Paffenroth (Lexington Books, 2005).
- "Book Seven: Inner Vision as the Goal of Augustine's Life," in A Reader's Companion to Augustine's Confessions," ed. K. Paffenroth and R.P.Kennedy (Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2003).
- "Interiority" in Augustine through the Ages: an Encyclopedia (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1999).
Dr. RJ Snell
- Through a Glass Darkly: Bernard Lonergan and Richard Rorty on Knowing Without a God’s-Eye View, Marquette University Press, 2006.
- “The Gift of Good Sex: Thinking Contraception Anew” in The Covenant Quarterly, (2008).
- “Upon this Rock: Genuine Foundations and Geivett’s Narrative,” in Philosophia Christi (2007).
Selected Conference Presentations
- “Resisting Boredom: Stability, Examen of Consciousness, and the Noonday Demon,” Teaching, Learning and Christian Practices Conference, Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI. October 2009.
- “Thomism and Noetic Sin, Transposed,” American Catholic Philosophical Association, New Orleans, November 2009.
- “Pietism and the Conversion of Knowledge,” The Pietist Impulse: Lilly Conference. Bethel
- University, Minneapolis, MN. March 2009.
- Invited respondent, The Bitar Lectures, Geneva College, PA. March 25-27, 2009.
- “Saving Faith: Neocalvinism, Radical Orthodoxy, and the Thomist’s Nature,” Evangelical
- Theological Society, Providence, RI. November 2008.
- “Sanctifying us Everywhere”: Charles Taylor and the Apologetics of A Secular Age,” Evangelical Philosophical Society. Providence, RI, November 2008.
- “Thomism and Noetic sin, Transposed,” Evangelical Philosophical Society Midwest Regional Meeting,
- Chicago, IL. March 2008.
- “Worldviews, Metanarratives, and Intellectual Conversion: An Augustinian Challenge to Realists and
- Antirealists”. EPS, San Diego, CA. November 2007.
- “A More Inward Manner: Bernard Lonergan’s Contribution to the Psychological Analogy”. New Projects in Systematic Theology, San Diego, CA. November 2007.
- “God’s Glory, Neighbor’s Good: The Pietist Option in Christian Higher Education,” Reimagining Educational Excellence Conference, Calvin College. October 2007.
- Ontological Lapsometer: Boredom, Death, and Contemporary Culture
- Educating for Conversion: Sin and Renewal in Christian Higher Education
- “Love in the Ruins: On the Tyranny of the Practical”