BSW in Social Work
Why Major in Social Work?
â€śAs a part of Eastern University's Social Work Program, I have gained a deeper understanding of helping relationships and how to serve clients from a Christian perspective.Â This major has helped me to develop the skills necessary to transition into a professional career.â€ťÂ Devin, BSWThe BSW in Social Work at Eastern University educates students to be knowledgeable and skilled general social work practitioners, compassionate agents of Godâ€™s mercy and justice in meeting common human needs, with particular attention to people who are vulnerable, oppressed, and living in poverty.
The field of social work helps people in a variety of ways. Whether itâ€™s child abuse, aging, homelessness, family violence, catastrophic illness, school failure, developmental disabilities, or substance abuse, there are many opportunities to make a difference. After the general Social Work courses, students must go through a rigorous admissions process into the Social Work major. Once admitted, students begin internships throughout the Philadelphia area in whatever field interests them most. The BSW also offers advanced standing for the Master of Social Work (MSW) if a student maintains a B average. This will allow for completion of the MSW in one year. This serves as an advantage for students, as many social workers pursue an MSW throughout their career.
At Eastern, students complete internships in two agencies, two days per week in the spring semester of the junior year, and throughout both semesters of the senior year, under the supervision of professional social workers and while enrolled in social work practice courses. Internships are available at hundreds of agencies throughout the greater Philadelphia area. This gives students first-hand experience as a social worker. Â
With a BSW from Eastern University, students will learn the importance of integrating their faith with the practice of Social Work. They will be given the necessary skills to become successful and compassionate social work practitioners that bring about Godâ€™s mercy and justice. Through caring faculty and rigorous classes, students are fully prepared for the next steps in the social work field.
Why Major in Social Work at Eastern?
- Integration of Christian faith and social work practice
- High quality, innovative teaching and mentoring from caring faculty who are committed to educating social work practitioners who are knowledgeable, skilled and compassionate agents of Godâ€™s mercy and justice in meeting common human needs, with particular attention to people who are vulnerable, oppressed and living in poverty
- Accredited by the Council on Social Work Education since 1974 (the earliest year available)
- Integrated model of field education (two internships, three semesters, two days per week while enrolled in practice courses)
- Field instruction by professional social workers
- Active student organization, Student Social Work Association (SSWA)
- MSW advanced standing eligibility for student maintaining a B average (complete an MSW degree in one year instead of two years)