Why Major in Sociology?
As the scientific study of the social world, Sociology examines the connections between social structures and personal outcomes; between historical processes and present conditions; between global dynamics and local realities. The BA in Sociologyâ€”with its broad scope of study topics including social problems, group relations, urban dynamics, social institutions and justice, immigration, family systems, religion, and othersâ€”offers students skills that will enable them to be effective agents in any sector of society. Jobs are often found in social services, community development, the non-profit sector, international relations, education, business, and research. The BA in Sociology is a valuable asset in the pursuit of a fulfilling and transformative career.
Why Major in Sociology at Eastern?
- A fun, supportive, and innovative department
- Personal attention from faculty
- An explicit commitment to Christian faith
- An exceptionally strong record of academic performance (seniors typically score at or above the 95th percentile in the national field exam)
- Every full-time faculty member holds a PhD
- A distinct global flavor and outlook
- Opportunities for meaningful internshipsâ€”in easily accessible urban, suburban, or rural settings
- A proven record of commitment to social justice and transformation