BA in Sociology
Why Major in Sociology?
As the scientific study of the social world, Sociology examines the connections between social structures and personal outcomes; between historical processes and present conditions; between global dynamics and local realities. The BA in Sociology—with its broad scope of study topics including social problems, group relations, urban dynamics, social institutions and justice, immigration, family systems, religion, and others—offers students skills that will enable them to be effective agents in any sector of society. Jobs are often found in social services, community development, the non-profit sector, international relations, education, business, and research. The BA in Sociology is a valuable asset in the pursuit of a fulfilling and transformative career.
Why Major in Sociology at Eastern?
- A fun, supportive, and innovative department
- Personal attention from faculty
- An explicit commitment to Christian faith
- An exceptionally strong record of academic performance (seniors typically score at or above the 95th percentile in the national field exam)
- Every full-time faculty member holds a PhD
- A distinct global flavor and outlook
- Opportunities for meaningful internships—in easily accessible urban, suburban, or rural settings
- A proven record of commitment to social justice and transformation