Eastern University is dedicated to the following foundational commitments:
1. To excellence in scholarship and teaching
We maintain a high priority on excellence in teaching within the context of exemplary scholarship and research. Guided by our faith in Jesus Christ, who is "the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6), we believe in the unity of God's truth, whether supernaturally revealed or humanly discovered; we value the search for knowledge and understanding in all areas of life.
Thus we desire to foster an environment in which:
- Students develop intellectual curiosity, passion, and agility, valuing the life of the mind and life-long learning;
- Students develop their critical thinking, reflection, analysis, and communication skills;
- Students develop knowledge and competencies in the arts, sciences, and professions;
- Faculty are supported in and recognized for scholarship of discovery, integration, application, and teaching.
2. To the whole Gospel for the whole world through whole persons
We recognize the Bible, composed of the Old and New Testaments, as inspired of God and as the supreme and final authority in faith and life. We submit ourselves to carrying out our mission under its authority and seek to apply biblical principles to all facets of human aspiration and action, including the centrality of personal transformation. We affirm the importance of calling all persons everywhere to personal faith and faithful discipleship in following Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, including living out the whole Gospel in a needy and lost world.
Thus we seek:
- To enable students to develop a Christian worldview, grounded in the Scriptures;
- To enable students to discern the ethical consequences of decisions and actions;
- To foster an environment in which all members of the campus community desire and participate in their own Christian formation;
- To develop a campus community where all give witness to a Christian worldview, through action and voice, motivated to explore faithfulness to Christ through Christ-centered study, work, and living.
3. To justice, reconciliation, and transformation
In our commitment to sharing the whole Gospel to the whole world, we acknowledge with sorrow the brokenness of the world at personal, national, and international levels. Thus we seek to work for Christian transformation, justice, and reconciliation, in all areas of life as these are grounded in our understanding of Christ's calling to us. We particularly seek to work with and for the poor, oppressed, and suffering persons as part of our Christian discipleship.
Thus we seek:
- To provide educational opportunities and financial aid as best we can for those with few or no financial resources to attend a private Christian university;
- To motivate students to assume responsibility for justice and to show a transformative influence — especially regarding social, political, and economic justice;
- To enable all members of the campus community to participate in opportunities for meaningful service, demonstrating love for God and neighbors and working towards justice.
4. To responsible leadership and stewardship
We believe that our complex society needs leadership in all institutions that is intelligent, informed, insightful, ethical, strategic, and just. We are dedicated to graduating students whose wisdom, Christian values, and skills enable them to lead and manage such institutions, including those that are the most influential. Similarly, we commit to excellence in the leadership of Eastern and in the stewardship of University resources. Further, we believe that we are to care not only for people throughout the world, but also for creation itself as responsible stewards of the environment and other physical resources.
Thus we seek:
- To prepare students to live in an interdependent world, aware of societal and global problems and committed to engage in solving them;
- To engender the wisdom and character necessary for sound Christian leadership;
- To inspire all members of the campus community to care for creation as responsible stewards and to model that care in the use of University facilities and resources.
5. To Christian community
Our commitments lead us to work towards shaping a campus community that embodies values of Christian witness, caring and compassion, justice and integrity, competence and affirmation. We wish to treat each member of the campus community with fairness, dignity, and respect, seeking a spirit of unity and harmony as we join together to achieve our common mission.
Thus we seek:
- To foster genuine community, where individuals show compassion and friendship towards others in the spirit of Christian love;
- To help students increase in self-awareness and in their sensitivity towards others and others' needs and situations;
- To foster an environment where diversity is appreciated and reconciliation is practiced;
- To equip all members of the campus community to live well with one another, honoring, supporting, and affirming one another.