Eastern University is a nationally-ranked Christian university that integrates faith, reason and justice for its 3,300 students. Located near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the university offers a wide array of undergraduate, graduate, seminary, professional, and international programs. Eastern is affiliated with the American Baptist Churches USA and has an interdenominational Christian student body, faculty and administration.
Eastern is a Christian university dedicated through teaching, scholarship, service, spiritual formation, student development and societal involvement to the preparation of undergraduate, graduate and Seminary students for thoughtful and productive lives of Christian faith and service. Learn more about our Faith, Mission & Values.
The College of Business and Leadership: Eastern University's College of Business and Leadership (CBL) brings together carefully designed educational offerings from the disciplines of business, leadership, and advocacy. CBL offers 7 undergraduate programs, 10 graduate programs, and 5 minors.
The College of Education: Eastern University's College of Education is one of the leading private university Education programs in the state of Pennsylvania. It offers 3 undergraduate and 4 graduate programs, as well as 14 certifications.
The College of Health and Social Sciences: Eastern University's College of Health and Social Sciences (CHeSS) equips students with the knowledge, skills and abilities for meaningful careers, advanced professional training and active roles in local and global communities through social services and healthcare professions. CHeSS offers 10 undergraduate and 9 graduate programs, 8 minors, and 7 certifications.
The College of Arts and Sciences: Eastern University's College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses majors and minors in the sciences, humanities, and performing arts. CAS offers 16 undergraduate programs and 18 minors.
The Templeton Honors College: The Templeton Honors College offers graduate-style undergraduate education for the most academically-gifted students.
Palmer Theological Seminary: Palmer Theological Seminary provides theological education for all types of ministry that seek to present the whole gospel, to the whole world, through whole persons.
Esperanza College: Esperanza College is Eastern’s junior college which operates in partnership with Nueva Esperanza, Inc. and aims to serve the Latino community in Philadelphia, PA.
St. Davids, PA: Our scenic 114-acre suburban main campus is just west of Philadelphia, PA, offering undergraduate, graduate, and Palmer Theological Seminary programs.
Harrisburg, PA: Adult undergraduate and graduate programs at our convenient Harrisburg location are designed for working adults.
Ripley, WV: Palmer Seminary offers the Master of Divinity here.
Rwanda, Africa: Two graduate programs are offered in Rwanda.
*Eastern also holds additional instructional sites at numerous suburban and international locations.
- Calendar: A two-semester academic year, fall and spring, with two summer sessions. Adult and graduate programs offered throughout the calendar year.
- Academic Programs and Degrees: Associate of Arts, Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Social Work, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Master of Arts, Master of Business Administration, Master of Science, Master of Science in Nursing, Master of Education, Master of Theological Studies, Doctor of Philosophy, Doctor of Arts, Doctor of Ministry, Doctor of Education.
- Study Abroad: Council for Christian Colleges and Universities, universities including Oxford University and the University of St. Andrews, student teaching, and various other programs.
- Eastern University offers many Online and Blended Online Programs.
- 124 full-time University & Seminary faculty
- 77% of full-time faculty hold earned doctorates or highest professional degrees
- Over 300 faculty publications
Alumni and faculty of Eastern University have received the MacArthur Foundation Award, Olaf Palma International Justice Award, Regional Emmy for PBS Documentary, and Lindback Awards for Excellence in Teaching. View recent national honors and recognition.
Eastern University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Learn more and view our Professional Accreditations.
- Surveys like the Student Satisfaction Inventory are administered annually to ensure continual improvement of student services.
- Undergraduate retention rate of 75%
SAT Scores of First-year Students
- Mean: 1101
- Templeton Honors College: High school grade-point-average 3.73; mean of 1333 SAT scores.
- International and Multi-ethnic Enrollment: 43.6% of all undergraduates (including Esperanza).
- Harold C. Howard Center/Warner Memorial Library: Houses 155,000 books; links to 1.3 million ebooks; has 10,000 audio-visual materials.
- Access to over 55,000 online periodicals through databases EBSCOhost, SAGE, Proquest, JSTOR, GALE.
- Over 75 million books available through Interlibrary Loans. The library is a member of cooperatives: The Tri-State College Library Cooperative; the Pennslyvania Academic Library Consortium Inc; and the Southeast Pennsylvania Theological Library Association.
St. Davids Facilities
- 8 Academic and Administrative Buildings
- The Bradstreet Observatory and Julia Fowler Planetarium
- Residential: 8 residence halls house 944 students on campus.
- Athletic: Gymnasium, tennis courts, pool, multi-purpose baseball field, softball field, turf soccer/lacrosse and practice field
96% of students receive academic and need-based scholarships and grants.
Tuition and Costs
2017/2018 Traditional Undergraduate:
- $31,700 for tuition
- $380 for Fees (plus $65 for one time transcript fee for entering students)
- $10,980 for on-campus room and board
- Barnabas Foundation
- Comloquoy Charitable Foundation
- EAPE Kingdom Works, Inc.
- Eden Charitable Foundation
- HBE Foundation
- Huston Foundation
- Stewart Huston Charitable Trust
- National Institutes of Health
- National Science Foundation
- PA Department of Education
- PA Higher Education Foundation
- Sodexho Marriott Services, Inc.
- W.W. Smith Charitable Trust
- U.S. Dept. of Education
- 29,000 alumni in 50 states and 132 countries
- 94-99% of graduates in the last decade have found employment, full-time volunteer work, or begun post-graduate studies within the first six months of graduation (based on the percent of students who responded in each year).