The Eastern University Leadership Team and Public Safety Office work diligently to plan and prepare for emergencies to preserve and protect the safety and well-being of our campus community and property. The University maintains an Emergency Operations Plan and a companion Crisis Communications Plan both of which are reviewed and updated on a regular basis.
The Emergency Operations Plan establishes an Emergency Response Team (ERT) which is comprised of University staff and select Leadership Team members who are responsible for specific emergency support functions.
The Crisis Communication Plan establishes a Crisis Communication Team (CCT) comprised of University staff responsible for specific communications support functions and will liaise directly with the ERT to convey accurate and timely information. The objective for emergency preparedness will be continuous improvement with the Leadership Team, ERT, CCT and larger campus community engaging in various drills, training, information sharing and meetings on best practices.
Emergency Communication Tools
The University utilizes the following communication tools to inform the campus community and the public regarding emergencies:
- EU Emergency Alert System (text messaging system)
- Information band on eastern.edu website
- Red information band indicates a more serious emergency
- Light blue information band indicates a moderate disruption to normal operations such as a weather delay or closing
- Campus News emails
- Social Media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter
- Additional information or instructions may be posted to this webpage
- A recorded message with information may be posted to the main University phone line at 610-341-5800