Why Major in Health Sciences?
A BA in Health Sciences allows students to develop a solid scientific foundation for the study of the human body, focusing on the structure and function of the body in conditions of wellness and disease. Students will be prepared for entry-level health science careers involving health education in a wide variety of settings, or entrance to graduate school in a variety of allied health fields, including physical therapy, occupational therapy, exercise physiology, nursing, physician assistance and others. The program is enriched by major requirements that intentionally attend to verbal and written discourse in the discipline, as well as research literacy.
Why Choose Eastern?
- Mission: Our purpose is to guide graduates to enter their professions or graduate schools with the necessary expertise and acumen to become effective practitioners who serve God and their communities. Read our full mission statement.
- Faculty: Dedicated faculty bring integrity, expertise, commitment and Christian faith to the classroom. Faculty research includes obesity, low carbohydrate diets, body image, vascular responses to physiological stress and pathophysiological states, and exercise-induced cardio-protection in a model of spontaneous hypertension.
- Facilities: Eastern’s state-of-the-art laboratory houses a variety of equipment: Cardiac Q-Stress, Quinton Stress Test , iWorx Metabolic System, Bod Pod, Wingate Peak Monarch Cycle Ergometer and software.
- Curriculum, Practicum, and Internship: Each program is enriched by major requirements that intentionally attend to verbal and written discourse in the discipline, as well as research literacy. Students have opportunities to participate in practicum or internship experiences to gain proficiency in the clinical skills of their respective disciplines.
- Preparation for Graduate Studies in Athletic Training, Occupational Therapy, and Physical Therapy: Regular, comprehensive, and individualized student advising of all pre-professional students ensures the required course study and timely submission of the graduate application.