The Pre-Optometry track prepares students who hope to become optometrists -- the primary health care professionals who diagnose and treat disorders of the eye and vision. Doctors of Optometry also assist with providing glasses and contact lenses to their patients. Given their expertise, optometrists often diagnose other eye-related diseases like diabetes and recommend their patients to specialists for further care.
Why Choose Pre-Optometry at Eastern?
- Academic Excellence, Faith-Inspired Compassion: Pre-optometry and other students preparing for a career in the health professions are challenged to strive for academic excellence in their chosen major, while cultivating a love for rigorous scientific thinking and a desire to be instruments of God’s healing hands.
- Small Classes, Unique Courses: Eastern’s small class sizes facilitate learning, and unique course offerings such as Structural Basis of Human Disease enable students to holistically prepare for their future medical careers.
- Proximity to Philadelphia: Eastern’s ideal location in the Philadelphia suburbs is close to an optometry school, three dental schools, a vet school, seven major medical schools, a variety of physician assistant programs, and numerous hospitals and research laboratories provide plentiful opportunities for internships and volunteer experiences.
- Research Groups on Campus: Pre-optometry students can join a research group on campus in the biology or chemistry departments.
- Amazing Advisors: Pre-med advisor Dr. Maria Fichera offers students step-by-step guidance and support for the following pursuits: pre-medical, dental, podiatric medicine, pre-optometry, and pre-physician assistant studies.