The mission of the Prison Education Program is to provide transformative education for our neighbors who are incarcerated and returning from incarceration.
- MISSION: In the outworking of Eastern’s tenants of faith, reason, and justice, this educational program will have a transformative impact on individuals and communities.
- MARKET: Many incarcerated persons recognize the transformative nature of education and are hungry to learn and earn credentials that will help them grow, and improve their success in reentry.
- MANDATE: In 2016 Eastern University signed the Fair Chance Higher Education Pledge, a commitment to reducing barriers to higher education for individuals with criminal records.
- 95% of incarcerated people are coming home.
- Recidivism goes down over 43% among those who receive postsecondary education.
- Lives of inside students are transformed for the better, and there is a positive effect on the entire prison environment.
- Released persons are 13% more likely to obtain employment.
- By 2020, 65% of all jobs will require postsecondary education and training beyond high school.
- People of faith and conscience are called to reach out in redemptive ways to those in prison.
Give to the Prison Education Program
Supporting reentry for incarcerated persons (i.e. Life Skills Workshops, Soft & Hard Skills).
Traditional students and inside students take courses together at a correctional facility.
Men at SCI Chester would have the opportunity to earn an Associate of Arts degree.
- To learn more about the Prison Education Program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sign up for our newsletter.
- Read previous newsletters:
- July 2021 Newsletter
- June 2021 Newsletter
- April 2021 Newsletter
- February 2021 Newsletter
- January 2021 Newsletter
- November 30, 2020 Newsletter
- August, 15, 2020 Newsletter
- June 11, 2020 Newsletter
- April 1, 2020 Newsletter