Why Major in Social Work?
The BSW in Social Work at Eastern University educates students to be knowledgeable and skilled general social work practitioners, compassionate agents of God’s mercy and justice in meeting common human needs, with particular attention to people who are vulnerable, living in poverty and who are oppressed.
The field of social work helps people in a variety of ways. There are many opportunities to make a difference providing case management, counseling, advocacy/community engagement, or program development within child welfare, court systems/domestic abuse, drug & alcohol/mental health, housing services, human trafficking coalitions, nursing/rehab facilities, refugee resettlement, school systems, and shelters.
- Integration of Christian faith and social work practice: With a BSW from Eastern University, students learn the importance of integrating their faith with the practice of social work. They are given the necessary skills to become competent and compassionate social work practitioners that bring about God’s mercy and justice. Through caring faculty and rigorous classes, students are fully prepared for the next steps in the social work field.
- High quality, innovative teaching and mentoring: Our caring faculty are committed to educating social work practitioners who are knowledgeable, skilled and compassionate agents of God’s mercy and justice in meeting common human needs, with particular attention to people who are vulnerable and oppressed.
- Accreditation: The department has been accredited by the Council on Social Work Education since 1974 (the earliest year available).
- Concurrent model of field education: At Eastern, students complete internships in two agencies under the supervision of professional social workers while enrolled in social work courses. Internships are available at hundreds of agencies throughout the greater Philadelphia area giving students first-hand practice experience.
- The Student Social Work Association (SSWA) focuses on building community among social work students while offering formal and informal activities, student learning, and service opportunities.
- MSW advanced standing: When a student maintains a B average, they can be admitted to an MSW, advanced standing program. Advanced standing allows for completion of the MSW in one year instead of two years.
Admission to the Social Work program
After completing the introductory social work courses, students complete an admissions process as required by our accrediting body, CSWE. Once admitted into the social work program, students begin internships throughout the Philadelphia area in whatever field interests them most.
Graduate in 3 Years!
Evening BSW for Working Adults
See More In BSW
Please check the State Authorizations page to determine if Eastern University’s program fulfills your state credentialing requirements. Students who seek similar credentialing in states other than Pennsylvania are advised to contact the appropriate credentialing agency within their home state to seek information and additional guidance about credentialing in your state of residence. Additional state or local requirements may exist for field placements or pratica in this state. Out-of-state student placements/practica cannot be guaranteed by the program or the College of Health and Sciences. Students are responsible for following all state and local requirements and regulations for their field placement/practica coursework.