Students seeking a secondary certification to teach in any 7-12 grade will first take all the course requirements for a major in the respective subject, e.g. English. The student will then take the additional educational courses required to receive secondary certification in one of the following areas of study: Biology, Chemistry, English, Math, Social Studies or a Language (Spanish and French). Therefore, the subject is the major and secondary education or language certification is the area of study.

Add a Master's in 1 Year!

Seamlessly add a Master of Education in just 1 additional year!

Featured Faculty Member

Dr. Harry Mercurio

Dr. Harry Mercurio has been on the faculty of the College of Education since January 1996 where he has taught a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses. He earned his doctorate in reading/language arts from Widener University in 2014. He has been an educator for thirty years and possesses multiple certifications from the state of Pennsylvania. He has served as an educational consultant and continues to serve as a staff development presenter both locally and at state level conferences.

State Authorizations

Please check the State Authorizations page to determine if Eastern University’s program fulfills your state credentialing requirements. Students who seek similar credentialing in states other than Pennsylvania are advised to contact the appropriate credentialing agency within their home state to seek information and additional guidance about credentialing in your state of residence. Additional state or local district requirements may exist for field placements in this state. Out-of-state student placements cannot be guaranteed by the program or the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences. Students are responsible for following all state and local district requirements and regulations for their field placement.